Total Pageviews

Monday, June 8, 2020

Going Home? Yes!!!

June 8 (Monday)... I woke up early as usual. 4am was my norm and the nurses were glad to talk in the early hours before the other patients were awake. I was given permission to walk around the hallways on my own. I got back to the room just in time for my surgeon to make an early visit. He again assured me the surgery went well and my recovery was going well. I would be going home as soon as arrangements could be made. Yay!  


He told me I could progress to soft food and while at home eat as I feel comfortable. Yay!  So I asked the nurse if she thought i would be given a full breakfast and she thought I would. Finally a meal and the breakfast on the menu looked like it would be in the soft side so all was good. Then the tray came and i was sad to see just a lump of scrambled eggs, a banana and cheerios. I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I was going home. 


And that is exactly what happened. By 11am I was in my get away car thanks to my friend Brenda Mark. Michael was able to work and I was able to surprise the children with an early homecoming!  


I was given a few surprises too!  Michael had set up my sun room with a new chair. I would have a comfortable quiet spot to continue my recovery at home. He also was almost finished with a small home improvement. He said he would have had it done if I had stayed in hospital longer. I told him I didn’t mind seeing it half finished. Better for me to be home.


 I forgot to mention that I got a phone call an hour after I was settled at home. The radiologist wanted me to meet him the next day for a consultation. I was so overwhelmed with the thought of going anywhere that I told his nurse it would have to be later in the week. So an appointment was made for Thursday. 


Things are happening fast now. I am still just taking this one day at a time. One foot in front of the other. I remind myself that the doctors are the experts and see cancer every day. I am learning each day how this is all going to work for my life. Although I am glad they keep my path moving forward I can slow down if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment