Total Pageviews

Monday, October 5, 2020

Repairing my Back

October 5 (Monday) ... I was up and out the door before 0400 to make it to the hospital for my surgery. I will admit that I was a little nervous, but I took on this surgery like all the other procedures. I know that those who are caring for me are the experts and I am just along for the ride doing what I am told. These professionals have been placed along my path for good reasons, so I accept the good that is meant for me and hopefully for them as well. 


After considering the options for this month of doctor appointments, we realized once again that our attempt at planning did not fit with some greater plan. We laugh at how much we thought we knew and move forward. 


So for this procedure it was obvious what we should do. My mom and I are the early birds, so it made sense for her to take me to the surgery. She was home before anyone even knew she was gone. 


I was quickly taken up to the pre-op area and prepped for surgery. Nothing really profound in that process. Although Nurse Katie did manage to start an IV in my hand with no pain and later no bruising, which was pretty amazing to me. I met my team of medical staff before falling into a blissful sleep as I prayed for all involved (including those of you who were praying for me). 


I woke up in what seemed like a blink of an eye. I was surprised to feel the pain in my back with a post-op nurse asking if I was ready for morphine. I guess I had gotten used to the doctor just giving me pain meds without my approval during procedures. However, I learned that with back surgery, I would need to prove I had range of motion and feeling to my extremities before pain medication could be given. I passed their recovery tests and took the pain meds (morphine and narco cocktail) quickly. 


My stay in recovery would only last two hours because I passed all the mobility tests without any trouble. The physical therapist was especially pleased with my balance and ease of movement. So my mom came to pick me up just after 0900 and we were home by 1000. Unfortunately, the ride home included two stops for me to relieve my body of the juice and crackers I enjoyed while in recovery. 


Once I was settled at home, I drifted in and out of sleep throughout the afternoon. I was even able to help a little with the children and school. I was actually very proud of my crew because they completed most of their school by helping each other. My mom also helped our Little Miss. I am so glad for this part of the routine to be going so well. 


I was able to take a few phone calls but for the most part I tried to avoid talking. I had been intebated for the surgery so my throat was a little sore from the experience. Add this and compression stockings to my list of firsts. 


Michael surprised us by coming home an hour early from work. He arrived about the same time as our dinner that was so nicely prepared by Rita from church. It was a nice way to end the day as we were so blessed not to have this worry. 


Michael then took the crew for an evening walk. No sooner had they left, our Tornado Teen came home. He told me that someone should stay with me in case I needed help. In spite of his hyped personality and typical teen self-centeredness, he does care. And I think he was quite open last night with his concern for me. It was his first time to tell me that he was worried for me and we were able to discuss his need to trust God. Also, I told him that I was glad he could talk to me about his feelings. I think he and our college guy (just because he is not here to live through all of this so does not filly understand) have it the hardest as far as vocalizing how they feel. I also am concerned for Michael who does not seem to like to talk about all of this cancer stuff. Praying for all of them to find someone to share as I think it is important to have an outlet for sharing their feelings. 


As for myself, I feel good...mostly because I am following orders and resting. I have no plans for adventures this week. I will be staying home and boredom will be filled with my crew entertaining me.  


Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. God bless you all!


COMMENTS

Susan Loffer

I'm very proud of the way you are facing and dealing with all of this, Michelle Reynolds. Prayers for a quick and smooth recovery from this latest setback.


Linda Austin

Listening to you describe the surgery makes it sound easy. You are blessed to be able to vocalize your journey. Prayers for all especially the guys!

RESPONSE

Linda Austin well it was real easy for me! 🤣 But i am sure the medical team had the hard part covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment