Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 17, 2020

Death Need Not Be a Curse

I wanted to send this out on Wednesday but I kept falling asleep before I could finish typing. It seems my steroid crash has lasted several days this time around. I have been sleeping a lot this week.  So here is the reflection I had about the end of the world. 


Doomsayers beware!!!


I spent most of the day surrounded by news feeds, social media outlets, prayer books, and personal encounters with friends and strangers...it seemed like the day to reflect on the end of the world as we know it.


Personally, I have always been interested in eschatology...the theological study of all things concerned with death, judgment, and the final destiny of the soul and of humankind. 


I am not sure why I have this interest but I just think it is the means to what can be a glorious ending. In all my studies I am always amazed by those who fear what we all must face one day...Death!!!


I think this is why so many people are fascinated by the end of world. It allows us to consider desth on acgrand scale rsther than on a more personal level. After all, if I am going down then the whole world must becgoing down with me. It sounds more doable than if I had to think about my own death while everyone else continues on their merry way. But for Christians and other faiths who believevin an everlasting life, we should not fear death. 


Today I began the morning with this simple prayer:

“Let us enter God’s presence rejoicing!”

This was followed by the words of Jesus:

“I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.” (John 10:9)


I don’t know about you, but when I look at death it seems pretty simple. Follow God in this world and you are promised an eternity with God. 


Well, there is one catch...you have to actually die. And, I think for most people, the real hiccup is about that moment in our lives when things get a little scary thinking about what the end will be like for us. 


However, God has you taken care of if you allow him to control the plan. He tells us throughout Scripture that he has the end of the world under control. Jesus told us after describing the end of time, quite simply,


“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.” Matthew 24:36


We can not prepare for the end of the world because it will come like the thief in the night. However, we can prepare ourselves for our own death. We can live a life believing that God saves us from our sins. We can live a life loving God and helping others. We can be ready for our death by the hope given to us about eternity with God. 


“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23


Because if we are truly in tune with life we know that we are restless in this world. We are not truly home. We just have forgotten what life in paradise should be like...our body yearns for something more. That “something” is perfection which can only be obtained through Christ’s love for us. 


“So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 5:6-8


So be gone all ye, doomsayers!!  We have no room for you in our walk of faith. We are prepared for the coming of the Lord regardless if it is the end of the world as we know it or if it is our own personal journey’s end.

No comments:

Post a Comment