Total Pageviews

Friday, August 14, 2020

Our Brave Leader

 A few days ago I posted a blog about how much I love my children. I talk about how awesome my mom is all the time. However, I have not said much about how much I appreciate my husband, Michael. I even had someone ask me if he was deployed. 


Wow!  I guess I just assumed everyone knew that Michael would be here to support me. After all, we have known each other for over 28 years and we have had many a roller coaster ride over the years. Through the good times and the bad, we love each other unconditionally. 


So, it seemed fitting that I should choose today to tell all my prayer warriors about how amazing Michael has been through my cancer diagnosis and treatments. 


I went to Mass this morning and the readings were all about God’s unconditional love for his people is like that of a marriage covenant. Even should a spouse forget the other, unconditional love will see them through above and beyond understanding. (Ezekiel 16: 1-15, 60, 63 and Matthew 9: 3-12)


With this said, Michael was with me from the start of this cancer stuff. Albeit in the parking lot outside of the ER for 7 hours the first night waiting for results as I was allowed to give them. He was there when I needed reassurance that treatments were covered under our insurance. He has taken on household chores more than he ever should after long days at work. He makes sure all the medical bills are paid (normally my job but I am not always able to focus enough to do this). 


So when he takes up the entire king size bed...or does not put the dishes away quite the way I like it.  Or chooses to find a distraction on his digital device of choice for a little longer than normal. Well, you learn real quick those things are not as important as you thought. 


Because most of all, he is patient with me when I am hyped up on steroids or loopy from chemo and pain meds. And he prays for me continuously and asks others to pray for me too. 


I am so thankful that this cancer happened at a time in our lives when Michael can be with us. He retired in December 2019 from the military. There was no military fanfare or hoopla. So after almost 30 years of service, he quietly came home to us just as he entered his service so many years ago. His family is so proud of him and glad he can be with us without worry of another deployment. Then taking on a civilian job that provides for us. 


God knew it was just one more part to the puzzle that makes our lives together whole.  I praise God for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment