Total Pageviews

Monday, September 28, 2020

Meeting my Neurosurgeon

September 28 (Monday)...

This morning I woke up knowing I had a full day, but it was even more than I realized. We decided that I could drive myself today because it was just a consult with the surgeon. I woke up at 5 am, and I hoped to be out the door by 6am but I was a little late.  


I had other plans before the appointment.  For those who do not know, I have always felt called to pray in front of abortion clinics.  I have been a sidewalk counselor (and post-abortive counselor) for about 20 years.  So, I had an extra hour this morning and chose to go out and pray at the clinic with another family.  


On the way to the clinic, I decided to turn on the Catholic radio station.  I thought it would be the morning Rosary.  However, it turned out to be the start of a pre-recorded talk about anointing of the sick.  It was a great talk and wish I had a way to share the recording.  I have studied about anointing through my theology degree, but this priest explained it so well and I learned things about the sacrament I had never heard before.  But I must have needed to hear this talk because it began as soon as I got in the car at home and it ended just as I pulled up to the clinic.  So that means the program started around 6:15am and ended at 6:50am...I just thought it odd that it did not start or end as most programs at the top of the hour or half hour.   Regardless, it gave me much to think about throughout the day.


I then spent my hour in prayer in front of the clinic that was already stating to have patients arrive before 7am.  It was a windy morning but I came prepared.  As I prayed, I thought about how precious life can be.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to pray for others to see that God is there for them in the struggles of life...knowing this not just for themselves but also for their unborn.


I left to make it to my appointment with plenty of time to spare.  That worked out well because I was the first patient of the morning and I was seen almost immediately upon arrival.  After a view of the scans and an exam, the neurosurgeon agreed that I would be a good patient for a successful operation.  He showed me the scans from before the bone radiation and after...it is quite fascinating to see.  As soon as approval from the insurance and an MRI could be completed, he would add me to his surgery schedule.  I knew the insurance approval would not take long so I had an MRI scheduled for later in the day.  


I had a little time after I left the neurosurgeon before the MRI, but not enough time to go home.  It was nice to just have a little quiet time even it was just sitting in the parking lot of the imaging facility. 


My Facebook feed had this verse that I had posted a couple of years ago pop up for me to remember.  I thought it fitting for today and the past week of events:

"Brothers, you have been called and chosen: work all the harder to justify it. If you do all these things there is no danger that you will ever fall away. In this way you will be granted admittance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 1:10-11


I thought checking in early might help the process go quicker, but I ended up waiting an hour after my appointment to have even more time to ponder life.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, I did eventually ask if they were saving the best for last, when I looked up to find the waiting room empty!  Ha Ha!


Once I was in the imaging room, I was helped by two very attentive technicians.  I must be getting used to these scans because it was not near as bad as the first two MRIs done earlier in the year.  I really have just learned to let them cover me with a warm blanket,  close my eyes and pray.  If I can do this before going in that metal tube, I have little worry that those walls will close in on me!  This scan took an hour and it did not even bother me.  Mission accomplished...and out the door heading for home again.


My mom already had dinner started by the time I got home.  The crew were working toward completing school.  I was able to sit down and take a short nap before Michael made it home.  We had a quiet evening and then I got to talk to my brother, Christopher, to wish him a happy birthday!  Then I was asleep with little trouble after a long day.  


God bless...and continue to pray, as we have more appointments to come as the week goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment