Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 20, 2020

A Fun Geo-Camper Weekend

September 18-20 (weekend)... so our family had this plan to go camping. But we did not know if it was going to be possible. We had to plan this trip over a month ago and with my situation we were not sure of anything. But it was a good opportunity to try because it would be with a group of geocachers and we knew Michael would have help with our crew if needed. So I started thinking about how to have a hotel near by, how to find the equipment we would need and have an exit plan should I need it. It turned out to be easy...a nice hotel was available 15 minutes from the state park with reservations that could be canceled if we had to back out...my friend, Nancy, offered to drive me and could take me home if needed any time during the weekend...we got a great deal on a tent...it was meant for us to enjoy this camping adventure. 


So Friday, while I was helping my mom with her stress test, Michael was packing up the vehicle and heading out the door with our crew. Once I knew my mom was OK, I would follow later with Nancy. 


It was a great weekend for all of us. The weather was perfect for camping with highs in the 80s during the day and 60s at night. And clear skies to enjoy the night sky in this Dark Sky park. 


The best part was being able to go and not have a lot of questions about my cancer. Either people did not know or they decide not to ask. Either way, we could enjoy the camping and nature without a lot of focus on what was happening back home (although I did check on my mom each day and she informed me that many were calling to check on her). Most of the weekend my stomach was upset and my back hurt but I felt the best option was to work through it. I stayed on flat trails and took lots of time to rest. Being a part of a group allowed the rest of the crew time to go on harder trails. 


I did think it was funny that the organizer of the weekend came to me at the end and said she was glad I was healthy again and I could enjoy the weekend. I just smiled and told her it was nice to be out in nature. I guess my plan to live regardless of the cancer is working if people do not realize that I am not well. And compared to how I looked even three months ago, I probably do appear to look healthy.  I have come along way in the last few weeks. Besides, this weekend was really more about my family enjoying a fun experience. I went along to enjoy watching them. As one of the crew likes to say...mission accomplished!  


Add to the awesome weekend...we arrived home in time to rush Sean to work. We had no plans for dinner but one of our friends called and offered to drop off a meal Sunday afternoon. We arrived home just an hour before she came with dinner!  We could not have made a better plan!  


Now for a couple of weeks of unknown days of resting before the chemo begins again. I am sure there will be more updates but for now we will just focus on school and resting. 


God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment