Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Getting Ready for Back Surgery and then the Whammy!

September 24 (Thursday)... 

I want to thank all my prayer warriors once again for storming heaven for me. I got a call Tuesday afternoon from the neurosurgeon office. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday to discuss the plans for back surgery or even if that is what is needed. 


They did ask that I have a different CT scan done of my back. So a new scan was quickly scheduled for yesterday afternoon. The scan took place without any difficulty. I have become quite the pro at praying my way through the procedure. 


However, I did have two things happen as part of the procedure. One shows how awesome the medical staff at the center are in caring for me. The second is just silly. 


In order to have the scan done quickly, the clinic scheduled my appointment for after 5pm. The problem with this was my port. I would need to be accessed and that could only take place at the chemo treatment room. So I arrived an hour early to allow for time before they went home for the day. Nurse Brent accessed my port but was very concerned because they would all be gone by the time I had my scan complete. I assured him that we had worked out for another nurse on call to help me after the procedure. He showed concern but since I had a plan, he would leave as scheduled. Well, at least that is what he told me. When I returned after the scans, I was surprised to see Brent was still in the treatment room. He told me that he just wanted to be there from start to finish. He would sleep better at night knowing I had been taken care of properly. He also remembered that I had a sensitivity to the latex bandages, and had the correct bandage to avoid irritation to my skin. Nice guy!!


The funny thing happened when I was actually at the scan. I was called back to the exam room by a technician I had not met. He was bald and had a very pronounced roman nose. He helped me to the room and onto the exam table. He even positioned me properly. I then closed my eyes and began praying. However, he talked me the through the procedure which lasted about twenty minutes. When all was done, I opened my eyes and I was a little fuzzy in the head and off balance. He did not notice because he had walked away to complete some paperwork. He was standing bent over his desk, so I could not see him. I always like to know the staff by name so I asked him his name. He told my he was Sergio as he turned back to face me. He no longer was bald but had a full head of hair and no roman nose. I had to laugh!!  They had switched off sometime within the procedure!!!  I remembered Sergio from my last scan!!!  I told him they he and his fellow tech should not do that to a person!  I really thought I had gone a little loopy!  We both had a little laugh over the mix up. Oh my!  


After yesterday going so smoothly, I was not prepared for the news I was given this afternoon. I wish I could say it was another mix up. However, I got a call that Dr. Drengler had gone over my bone scan. The cancer in the bone has spread again and I have been referred back to the radiologist. I now have cancer in my right hip bone and possibly other areas that we will need to watch closely. 


We are not wasting any time, as I already have an appointment scheduled to talk to radiologist next week. I will most likely will need radiation to these new areas as soon as possible.  I guess it was not meant for me to rest in between chemo treatments. I will be quite busy next week with my appointments and my mom.  


Funny thing is I have more energy now and not in pain so I guess I am being held up to continue on in this battle by all your prayers. I continue to be so humbled by all who pray for me. I know there are many of you praying for me more than I pray for myself. I have also been blessed by two of my prayer warriors who have made me protective masks. I was brought to tears Tuesday after Mass by the beautiful gift of mask and head covering from a fellow parishioner. The other mask was given about six weeks ago but I had set it aside during one of my difficult moments and misplaced it. I have it now and it is such a nice one too. I will use them when going to Mass. 


Always remember that God is good all the time!  I trust in him and I know that he will not fail me. He shares his love for me through others who are open to his message. Praise God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment