Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 27, 2020

An Anointing Full of Meaning

 September 27 (Sunday) ...

I cannot tell you how blessed I am to have such a supportive priest.  I left a message with him last Friday about the newly diagnosed cancer in my hip bone. This morning was the first opportunity to speak to him and I planned on talking to him after Mass. However, as soon as we arrived, he approached me with concern on his face. 


He asked how I was feeling and I assured him I felt no new pain. He then surprised me by asking if he could anoint me during Mass. In spite of my ability to speak in front of others, I really do not like to be the center of attention, especially not during Mass. However, I had wanted to talk to him about an anointing so I felt like this was providential. I agreed to the anointing directly after his homily. 



His homily was all about love for others and sharing in the gifts God has given us. Then I was called to the front. I was quite humbled to stand before everyone as Fr. Martin blessed me with Chrism oils and asked the congregation to pray for me as well. 


At the end of Mass, Fr. Martin surprised me further. He encouraged the entire congregation to find some way to support our family. He said we should build our community around the love God wants to share and we in turn must share that love with others. He felt that God was calling our parish to build community around helping our family. He felt God wanted me to be around for many years to come and our parish should pray in earnest for my healing. 


Wow!  That was pretty amazing!  I actually sat in my chair for several minutes after Mass asking God to use me as he willed. Also in thanksgiving for guiding us to this parish. 


I spent the remainder of the day resting. No knives for me!  Michael made dinner. I began preparing for the second half of the discernment retreat that will take place next weekend. It will be a busy week of doctor appointments. 


Thanks again for all of your prayers. I ask that you concentrate any prayers toward my neurosurgeon, Dr. Jude, and my radiologist, Dr. Z. And of course, continued prayers for Dr. Drengler. Please also pray for my mother’s cardiologist, Dr. Kuri. 



Thank you!  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment