Total Pageviews

Monday, November 2, 2020

Offering Up My Suffering for the Church Suffering

November 2 (Monday)...

Today I was not able to go to an in person Mass on All Souls Day because I was having scans done to determine our next plan of action for treatment. 😢


However I did attend via live feed at not one but two parishes because I felt like I needed a double whammy of grace while twiddling away my time in the cancer center. It just seemed like a better use of my time, along with praying for those around me and beyond. 


I was inspired right away by the priest who reminded us that even the smallest suffering or moment of patience in our lives is a moment to join in the suffering of Christ. 


...”if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.” 1 Peter 2:20


I had already decided that I was going to take any suffering of the day and offer it for all who are having difficult times in our nation. It was nice to have this confirmation of the role of suffering in our lives. 


I had to arrive at the center extra early this morning. Thankfully, with the time change, the sun was already up and ready for us. Having the first appointment of the day does have its advantages. I was in to have my first scan very quickly. I asked if I needed to be accessed... I really need to sop asking and just do it...but told no. So I got my first stick of the day...not too bad. Then filled with a special contrast. This PET scan required a 12-hour fast and an hour wait time after injection. 


That’s OK...it gave me time for prayer and then my second Mass of the day. Well, actually only part of one as I had to watch the remainder of the Mass after the scans were completed. I am sure God understood the delay in worship. No worries as I spent the time in the scans reminding myself that I trust God’s plan. I really did just close my eyes and repeat, “Jesus, I trust in you.”  With these calming words and a wonderful blend of essential oils (stress away wafted through my senses at just the right moments it seemed) I happened to remember this morning, I truly felt a peace wash over me throughout the rest of the morning. 


So there I was finished with my first scan. Then on to the MRI of my brain. I would have a cage around my head again. The tech asked why I did not have my port accessed. Ugh!!  I should have just stopped him right there and gone up stairs but he assured me he would make it work with the IV started for previous scan. Nope!  He had to stick me three times and do a little wiggling of the IV needle to get my vein to access. Not fun but I just tried to imagine I was somewhere else. 


Side thought (I know...bare with me!):

So I began to think about Peter while I was in my scans. I was imagining Peter standing in the boat with the stormy waters surrounding him when he  looked out and saw Jesus. Jesus held out his hand to Peter and he chose to take that first step on to the water. And I was there taking that step with him. For Peter he walked but faltered and began to sink and Jesus had to rescue him. For myself, I was laying there in the scans praying and trusting God to help me through this moment. However, I would falter in my prayer and open my eyes and panic. I had to call out to Jesus to remind me that he was there. I would close my eyes and begin anew to concentrate on the prayer and my trust in God. Thank you, Jesus, for being there to catch me when I falter!


MRI complete and then a quick x-ray of my spine for my follow up with Dr. Jude later this week. Now on to my next adventure. What will my afternoon be like?


I made it upstairs to Dr Drengler's office and the receptionist called back to find out if I needed to be in a chemo treatment. Turns out I only needed to have my lab work done and a treatment of bone strengthening medicine. I should have been done quickly, but my medicine was not ordered. So I ended up waiting until 1230 for the treatment which meant two hours of waiting.


I ended up sitting beside Frank, who was a new patient with lymphoma. Interesting that he is a bike racer and only discovered his cancer due to a major wreck during a race. He thought he had just bruised his muscle and his leg but it never seem to recover. Long story short after many trials, he was there sitting beside me in the chemo room. We felt it was providential, especially when we found we share a birthday. Maybe we will continue to see each other in the chemo room. 


All done and headed home to find my children had completed all their school work. So we had a nice quiet afternoon. An early dinner and a movie night. 


All is well that ends well. Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment