Total Pageviews

Monday, November 23, 2020

A Different Torture Device


November 23 (Monday)...

Well...today proved my theory.  I was told ahead of time all the side effects and how terrible today was going to be. Normally, I ignore all the warnings and just let the chips fall where they may, as the saying goes. But this time I could not get those thoughts out of my mind, so I fretted about what might happen...just in the back of my mind...not consuming me. But I figured I must be a little stressed about it because I woke up with a terrible headache this morning. 


So off I went to my treatment appointments wondering what the day would be like for me. 


In the end, the day went smoothly. I had no side effects and I even finished up early. 


I actually started the day with a protein-rich breakfast so I could take my first round of medication (Xeloda) along with my typical vitamin mix. This is my chemo in pill form. 


Then I arrived at the center for my CT scan (with contrast injection). I had an amazing team who created my new face mask. It was probably the closest I have come to spa treatment in this adventure. In order to make the mask, they had to wrap the plaster sheets around the back of my head and form it while it cooled. In order to keep it molded to my head they rubbed my bald head. I must admit it felt nice. But with every joy there must be discomfort... I suppose. <SIGH>. Then they placed the plaster over my mouth and asked me to hold a hard piece of plastic in my mouth to mark the spot. This is probably too much information but I have a very active saliva gland (every dentist has told me this over the years). All i could think about throughout the entire process was asking God not to let me drowned in my own spit. 😜. Haha!  But I didn’t... I survived ... and I hope I never have to make another one those masks again. God willing!!  Really I am being dramatic...it was not that bad and the team was very sensitive to my needs. 


I was finished with a lot of time to spare but I went on to my next treatment upstairs. I was willing to wait until my scheduled time but the receptionist insisted she could get me in early. 


Lickety split and I was in with Nurse Cody (my no nonsense nurse). He had me going on my IV medicine (Zometa) that will help to strengthen my bones. That was over in less than thirty minutes. He told me he had my shot ready and I could go to the private room for that treatment. 


I was surprised that he had it ready so quickly. I was told the medication would be frozen and taken out when I arrived and take 45 minutes to thaw. I was also told it would be given in the abdominal area. Nope...not frozen and I got a nice quick shot (Lanreoride) in my rear. Quick and easy and out the door before noon. Nice!  


I even had time to go to the store for the last of our turkey day meal. Then headed home to enjoy the afternoon. Yay!!


I have now taken my second round of pills. No problems there. 


So what I thought was going to be a hard day, turned out to be an easy day that was far worse in my imagination. I think I will stick with the plan of being naively optimistic. 


So far no side effects and I am praying it will stay that way. Thanks for all your prayers as I am sure these prayers and my guardian angel were the reason for my success today. May God continue to listen to your prayers. God bless!!


COMMENTS

Jean Moses

You are one brave, optimistic, faithful follower of Christ!! I’m grateful to God for your inspiring posts!! You are definitely in my daily prayers!!


Raquel Eichelman

Praying for you every night my sweet friend (((hugs))))



No comments:

Post a Comment