Total Pageviews

Monday, November 9, 2020

Facing the Consequences for Having Fun

November 9 (Monday)...

I was really not feeling well this morning. I blame the fun I had yesterday but have no regrets. My body just cannot seem to handle a lot of extra activity. I have just learned to make it work and save the next day as a day close to home for rest.


I only went out long enough this morning to go to Mass. I felt such strength in this message from God’s Word:

“Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy.”     1 Corinthians 3:16-1


I just felt like God was telling me that no matter my health...no matter how my body crumbles from disease... I can remain healthy as a temple of God indwelled by the Holy Spirit. 


Maybe God knew I needed to hear that message today. I left Mass with this on my mind and wrapped it around me as I prepared for my doctor appointments of the day. 


Today I had my first appointment scheduled at 10:30am. A follow up with my neurosurgeon that I was pretty sure would go well, since I think my back feels good most days. I did not actually see Dr. Jude until almost noon. I did not mind as it was a telemed visit and I just worked with our Little Miss on school while we waited. 


As expected, he told me all looked great and I was released from his care unless I needed him for further assistance. I reaffirmed that I was allowed to drive again. Then I thanked him for his great care. Of course, my goal is to never need his help again. 😃


Then I had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat before setting myself up for my appointment with Dr. Drengler. I was a little more leery about this appointment. I really did not know what to expect because I was not even sure what the scans would reveal. 


When you meet with Dr. Drengler, it is like sitting down for a talk on your front porch. He never seems to be stressed and does not cause you to worry even when he is going to tell you something serious. So, when he started my appointment, he just asked how I was feeling and if I had enjoyed my weeks off from treatment. 


Then he told it to me straight. He told me he had some good news and some bad news. This seems to be the way these appointments go with me. 


The good news was the PET Scan did not have my body lighting up like a Christmas tree like it did back in May. So, I guess the bad news is we will not be able to save on our electric bill come December when we will need to buy lights to put around our tree again!  Haha


He told me the liver tumors continued to shrink and are now manageable through the use of oral medication. This will still be a chemo treatment, but I can do it from home. 


The bad news came when he told me about the MRI of the brain. A 3mm size tumor was found on the right side cerebellum. Dr. Drengler seemed to think this was found early and treatable with no other abnormalities in the brain. He already set up a plan of action to meet with Dr. Zubyk to begin radiation. In fact, I already have a consultation appointment for this Wednesday with her. 


Dr. Drengler feels like the chemo has helped reduce the possibility of the cancer spreading to other organs and tissues. We now have the primary liver and bone cancers at a manageable level. And now we will work to minimize the spread of the cancer through monthly injections and oral chemo (2 week cycles on and off). We will then reevaluate the progression every three months. 


The good news about this new treatment plan is the oral chemo he will prescribe is one of the few medications the brain allows to enter and help reduce cancer cells. So it is like the medication is doing double work for my body. 


Once again I feel like the news I am given is hard to digest. I spent the afternoon just wanting time alone. Once I got it all in my head ( no pun intended), I was able to think about what it means to me. 


Just as I began my day, I will end it. I reflect on my body as a temple of God indwelled by the Spirit. I will hold on to the vision that my soul is healthy with the goodness of God. Then I can continue to thrive in spreading the message of God’s saving grace. 


It is like the verse I shared on my main Facebook page:

“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”  Proverbs 17:22


And, it is then that I know I have much to be thankful and I am well in my soul, as the old hymn tells us. God bless you!  Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment