Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Joy of Art!

This morning I had the joy of fulfilling a promise to Henry.  He LOVES to draw, especially nature scenes.  For his birthday (back in MARCH!), I promised I would buy new art supplies and find an artist willing to teach him professionally.  I hunted everywhere for an artist (several in our area) but none were interested in taking on a student.  Henry quietly accepted the fact that he would not have lessons.

THEN...the opportunity came up in May for this art class with a well known nature artist (Bruce Cunningham).  The classes did not begin until today but last for three weeks.  So, today was the big day for him to learn more about nature art.

Henry is a quiet child so I was not sure how he would interact with the class (a mix of children and adults).  However, it was perfect class for him as it was mainly focusing on his ability as the instructor taught.  He did enjoy the classes and came back with several drawings of detailed leaves and branches.  He is looking forward to learning more over the next weeks.  Also, the instructor said he would be interested in having a student throughout the year!  Henry and I were both excited about that opportunity.

While Henry was in his class, I did something that I had not been able to do in a long time.  For those of you who do not know me well, I am very active in the Pro-life efforts in our community.  I love to reach out to women in need and often pray in front of the Planned Parenthood.  I have ministered to many of the women who enter those doors and help them find different solutions to their needs.  I also work very hard to direct women to our local pregnancy help center.  I work behind the scenes finding donations for the center as well.  However, in the last few months I have been unable to go out to the Planned Parenthood because of the pregnancy limitations.  So, today (nine months pregnant!) I felt the desire to go out and pray.  I did not stay as long as I would have liked but I prayed with great determination for the women who seek a different choice.  I hope that I could be a witness to the women today as I prayed.  Life is precious!

AND...just as I finished that sentence....my water broke!!!!  YAY!!!  The baby is coming!  I told Michael and the boys and they are scrambling around so excited and not knowing what to do...wanting to help!  It is so precious to be in a house full of boys because they really want to protect me and help in some way and they have no idea what that means!

Here are the reactions from the house:

Michelle: (typing away on the blog and reading a recipe to Michael)...hey I feel like there is a balloon popping in my belly!  GUSH!!!!  Oh my!  Hey, everybody...I think the baby is coming!

Michael:  (trying so hard to make a dessert to go with our meal) WHAT!?!?!!! And rushes to grab towels and help me!

Brendan:  (running to the window!) "Nope the baby is not coming" and walks over to me and pats my belly..."the baby is right here, Momma."  I also have to tell you...because it is so funny!  We have been trying to potty train Brendan and he got in a lot of trouble yesterday for having too many deliberate accidents.  So, when he saw me dripping with liquid all over me and you could tell that he was perplexed.  I know he was thinking why is everybody so excited about Mom wetting herself but I get in trouble!  LOL!

Henry:  Nothing!!!  He went upstairs and shut himself in his room.  But to be fair when asked he took the younger ones into his room and is keeping them busy now.  He is doing what he can to stay out of the way.

Sean:  Immediately began looking at names for the baby.  We like to wait for the middle name so we can try to decide if the Saint of the Day matches with the first name.  Are you curious?  Today we celebrate the godly life of St. Dominic.  I like that! And the female equivalent Dominique is nice also.  God is so good!  We will see what we decide when this little blessing arrives.

Edward:  Screeching and hollering with trills of joy!  If I could type the sounds into the computer I would...needless to say he is excited.  Oh!  And when he heard my mother does not plan to come until tomorrow and midwife is trying to decide WHEN she is coming...he told me..."Don't worry mom...I can grab that baby and pull it out and then I will do a karate chop to cut the umbilical cord!"  If you ever doubt that he is our little tornado...rest assured that it is true!

So, now there is the reaction of the family in the house.

Here is what the midwife says:  Have you started contractions?  NO!  Call me when the contractions start.  I now realize that she does not know me very well.  I have never felt my contractions (even when hooked up to a monitor with full contraction in progress I did not feel the pain) until the last hour of pushing.  Very frustrating!  So I will call her back in a couple of hours and try to see what she wants to do.  Also, she wanted to know if I took that herbal blend!  I told her that I had no desire to take anything resembling the effects of caster oil and that I did not appreciate that she did that to me.  She laughed and said all was good. (GRRRRR!)

Michael was just commenting that he had never caught a baby or cut a cord.  Maybe this will be his chance if the midwife does not get here in time.  I am sure God has the plan all worked out.

My mom (who has been at all my births!):  I think it is too late for me to drive the five hours to your house.  I will come in the morning.  (I am sad and a little disappointed but that is her choice.)

And, a surprise reaction came about ten minutes after talking to my midwife.  Amanda called to tell us about her new job working at a vet clinic!  I was so excited that she called and asked her if she knew what was happening.  When I told her she was so excited!  A nice surprise as she told me she had been praying for me and hoped all would go well.  Then she told me all about her first day of work and a little old book store  she found (SHE LOVES BOOKS!).  It was a good diversion from the action in the house...it also gave me a chance to walk around outside.

So, as you can see, I am typing away on my blog still waiting but excited.  Hoping tomorrow we can introduce you to our little blessing.

Say a prayer for me if you get a chance.  Pray for a healthy baby and safe delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment