Total Pageviews

Friday, August 24, 2012

A Long Long Time Ago...

We had our first experience with a baby...she was a precious little girl also and we loved her so much (still do!).  Amanda was a trouper...going to college with me when she was 3 days old for starters.  Then continued to go to college with Michael and I as we switched off classes to keep her out of daycare.  Her first two years, I breastfed her on park benches, Aggie buses, in hallways and many other crazy places.  I was determined to nurse her without too many troubles as long as I could or as long as she wanted to continue.

Amanda never had any trouble nursing and I wondered what all the hype was about nursing troubles.  She put up with our crazy schedule and grew into a sweet little toddler.  To no surprise, the day came when she weaned.  It was actually a slow process that we did not realize until it was already fully underway, but it happened nonetheless.

AND THAT WAS WHEN THE TROUBLES STARTED!!!!

I guess we did not have enough gradual transition because before I knew it I was having all kinds of trouble. I had breast infections and blocked ducts...it never seemed to get better.  I tried all the remedies and nothing helped!  I made the mistake of going to one of those quickie clinics and the doctor decided that I need to have one of my breast ducts drained.  He seemed to know what he was talking about so I endured the excrutiating pain of a needle jab into the duct and milk extracted.   I would not wish this procedure on anyone!

So, why do I bring this up now, almost 20 years later?  Because since that experience I have had two blocked ducts on my left side.  It really is nothing most of the time.  I hardly notice the problem.  However, every baby since then has led to a painful experience around this two week  period.  This is when the 'real' milk comes in and I flood the streets (at least it seems like it!).

And, I have a case of mastitis every time.  I have just gotten used to the idea that this is going to happen and I prepare myself for 2-3 days of pain each time.  If I can get it under control it usually is not too bad.  I take lots of steam showers and nurse on that breast more frequently.  And YES...I try to rest more.  Like today...Michael was able to take the boys on a trip to town and it was just Zaira and I left at home to relax.  Today was the worst of the pain so it was nice to be able to stay home.  And, it is the weekend so we should be good to go by the start of next week.

What did the boys do?  They went to an ice cream party at the local library!  Lots of fun was had by all as they also had a play station to enjoy!  It must have really worn Brendan out because he fell asleep on the car ride home and is sleeping through the night.

Henry also had his last art class.  He really showed a lot of improvement over the span of the lessons.  I hope we can continue these classes through the fall.  I can not say enough great things about Bruce Cunningham.  He is a great teacher, artist, and forester.  I am so thankful Henry has had this opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment