Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jail Break!

Well, we made the big escape today and by the skin of our teeth.  Actually, we decided to leave against medical advice, which as big a shock to us as it might be to someone reading this post.  Although Zaira was given an overall healthy report, the pediatrician on call (who was supposed to release us from the hospital) advised us to remain until tomorrow morning.

What was her reasoning?  She first told us that the original pediatrician asked for a 48-hour observation period (which we had completed) and this did not begin until he ordered the observation.  However, we pointed out that Zaira had been under the hospital's care for 48 hours so we had fulfilled the original doctor request.  So then she became forceful, and the excuses began to multiply:

  • Jaundice-which she originally pointed out was very mild and not an issue was now a concern.  
  • Gestational diabetes reported by OB-I did not have an OB doctor and my midwife never reported any sign of diabetes.
  • High birth temperature-she had a rectal temp of 100 degrees but 99.6 degrees is considered rectal norm so this was also not an extreme 
  • High hemoglobin-her hemoglobin measured at 20.7 but 20 or lower is considered normal so only a slight elevation in this record also.
I was then told that we could go home but it would be against medical advice.  I told the doctor that nothing the hospital had done over the last 48 hours has assisted us in any medical aid.  I told her that we would not even be at the hospital if my labor had progressed.  The doctor told me it was because my labor did not progress that I placed Zaira at risk.  That was the last straw for me...I knew it was time to go home.  

However, we still continued to be patient and explain our situation.  We also tried to explain that my mother (who was watching the older children) needed to go home tonight.  I would be inconvenient for us to stay an additional night for no apparent reason.  Their answer was to let Michael go home and they would help me take care of Zaira.  Considering most of the nursery nurses wanted to use pacifier and give the baby Pediolite when I sent Zaira for tests in the nursery.  I had no desire to have their help.  So the answer from the nurse on duty was to make sure I got the care I WANTED, she would even make sure that the nursery only used OUR diapers (the hospital diapers had given Zaira a rash).  

Sidenote:  The night nurse for the nursery does not know how to whisper...she kept us up most of the night talking to us very loud.  When we would ask her to whisper she told us that Zaira would need to get used to loud noises.  I told her that there would not be loud noises at NIGHT and even my loud boys knew how to be quiet around a sleeping baby!  Not to mention the fact that Zaira knew the noises at our house as she had grown used to them over the last nine months (proven as I now type this blog with the boys playing and Zaira sleeping in my lap!)  So, you can imagine how happy I would be to have the help of the nursery for another night!  Again, it was time to go home was my only response.

So, the doctor and nurse left annoyed but began the paperwork for us to be discharged.  I told Michael to get things packed up quickly.  I did not want to stay an extra second!  I really felt like we were planning a jailbreak!  By the time the paperwork was ready, the only thing left in the room was a camera and us.  The nurse had all the paperwork in hand and asked Michael to get the car, I had him practically running to make it happen.

Then I was left in the room with Zaira to wait for the wheelchair to arrive.  The nurse assigned to me (Sallie-who was my very favorite nurse because she knew we did not want to be disturbed and only came into our room to check vitals and leave) came in quietly and asked if we were ready.  I told her that Michael was at the entrance waiting for us.  She immediately got a wheelchair and said "Let's get you both home!" 

So, after three days of not seeing the light of day, WE MADE OUR ESCAPE!!!!  Praise be to God!!!!

What an experience!  I am not saying that all hospital births are like this...I just think there were many in the hospital this weekend who did not understand home births or midwife procedures.  Either they did not want to be educated or had some other bias.  It was very disappointing.  I would not wish this experience on anyone.  I am thankful that Zaira IS a healthy baby and we could make the decision to leave the hospital.  We will continue to watch Zaira for any signs of distress as any parent of a newborn should do anyway.

We are home and that is all that matters now.  We have been reunited with our boys.  My mother was able to return home in time for her work.  All is good in the end!  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment