Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pro-life Bill in Texas

So the last couple of days have been interesting in Texas.  A special session was called by Governor Perry that included the plan to present a bill to our legislature that would ban abortions after 20 weeks, and restrict abortions to facilities that have the proper surgical equipment as well as be within 30 miles of a hospital.  After a terrible ruckus from the gallery a vote was cast but not in time to pass.  It was a sad day in Texas.

Several of the leaders in the Pro-life movement sent out pleas through Facebook and other mediums for Texans to make a stand for the unborn...I (along with others) sent out messages encouraging others to join us in asking Gov. Perry to call a second special session to complete the effort to pass this bill.  In doing so, I was noticed by our local newspaper.  I was asked to give my opinion on the situation.  I was glad to do so...and a paraphrased version of my conversation with the reporter was published in today's paper.

I originally was going to type of my full discussion with the reporter.  However, my good friend Paula beat me to it.  Well..not really...she posted her own opinion and I am convinced we are so linked together in our opinions that I knew she would not mind my using what she took the time to type, instead of spending my night hen-pecking on the keys!  So...a big thanks to you, Paula, for getting my thoughts together in an orderly fashion.  I like to think of this as a guest feature!

People have asked me how I feel about the recent events surrounding Texas Senate Bill 5 that would put into place greater restrictions on abortion providers and ban abortions after 20 weeks in Texas. 

Obviously as a pro-life, Christian, I am pleased that we are making strides toward better protecting women's health by attempting to place greater accountability and responsibility on the providers who perform abortions. Many women go forward with their decision to have an abortion without a bit of knowledge on the history of the clinic, reputation of the doctor, knowledge of health violations, lack of care that would be provided if an emergency were to occur at the abortion clinic, and much less, knowledge of how an abortion even takes place. Women, for their own protection and for a better quality of healthcare, need to care about this bill and approach this as an opportunity to provide quality healthcare. 

As much as I would rather women never have to make the choice for abortion, I sure would prefer that the clinics they go to are of the best quality possible and able to provide the proper surgical and ambulatory care needed. Why are they so afraid of this happening? Why is the attempt to better protect women from the dangers that they are even aware of wrong? I have seen way more than my share of women ready to make the choice for abortion without taking into consideration all of the factors and without being educated on the procedure and dangers associated. 

These same women would not turn their bodies over to "just any available doctor" at "any available clinic" with "no ambulatory care or emergency care plan" to remove their appendix. Neither would most women have this procedure without an in depth education on alternative options (if available), knowledge of what the Dr. would do, complications associated, etc. 

However, when we approach the issue of abortion, we assume that this type of education or these same standards somehow decreases a woman's choice and anger is directed toward the people attempting to protect and care for that choice. Not providing ambulatory care at an abortion clinic and having a woman die on the operating table because proper care is not available is irresponsible and not caring toward the woman's choice not to die! 

The fact that this bill may jeopardize the ability for many clinics to stay open is only proof that clinics don't care about providing the best quality care . . . it simply means that they are looking out for the bottom dollar. If they truly cared about women and about providing quality access to all women . . . they would do what they needed to do to not have their clinics close while offering the best quality surgical and ambulatory care in all of the clinics (rural or not). Put your money (billions) where you say your true concern is . . .with the women. 

So, that is how I feel (and this is the condensed version).


Amen, Paula!  And I pray that we can work with our legislators in Texas to make that happen in July as we begin the second special session.  I am going to try my darnedest to get to Austin to pray at the Capitol building.  I know that a prayerful presence is what is needed to encourage this bill to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment