Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2013

Bathroom Two-Step

It seems the last three days of bathroom remodel have been like dancing the two-step...one step forward and two steps back!  Just when I think we have it figured out something happens to mess it all up.  I am not a quitter and we plug along.  The latest dance moves below:

Counter top:  New counter was supposed to be ordered at 8am...as soon as store opened.  I was told I would get a phone call when it was done.  At 10am...still no phone call!  I had to call them!  I will explain later why I did not call before then.  I got through to the person who originally helped me and she said she did not know anything about the re-order and the person who was supposed to order was not even due to come to work until NOON!  GRRRR!  So she got the counter ordered but it will not be in the store before July 12th!  So...half the bathroom will not be completed until after Michael gets home.

Shower drain:  The plumber arrives at 8am...no warning so I had to race to get out of my pajamas and into day clothes!  He took one look at the shower floor and said the most he could do for me was install the drain.  The hole would need to be filled and a a 'tile man' would need to come out and create the base for a tile floor in the shower.  He did give me the name of some one who I could call.  I got in touche with him and he schedule to meet with me this afternoon.  While the plumber was there he also helped me with the tub drain. However, he told me I ordered the wrong faucet.  He also told me that the shower knobs would not be available in brass nickel because showers now used single levers so knobs had become obsolete.  I would need to re-plumb the knobs in order for them to match the rest of the bath.

Faucet:  I got on the phone with the company that I ordered the faucet...praying that I would be able to return and exchange for the right faucet.  I was never so thankful for a friendly voice and a helpful attitude.  I really needed this and Alex was very kind to walk me through the process and make sure I had the right supplies.  He wanted to hear all about the remodel and told me that he hoped we could get done before Michael got home.  Not only did I get what was needed but the company paid for the return shipping.

Tile guy:  He arrived after a late lunch...told me that all the cement board would need to be removed in order to have the shower pan put in place.  But that was OK because it was not installed with the correct screws as they needed to be inset to avoid the tiles from breaking during installation.  He did offer to let one of his guys make a deal with me and come out on Saturday...he was sure it would be a lower cost to me and might even be able to do the full tile job instead of just the floor of the shower.

So...off I went to my friendly home improvement store to get what was needed.  I had my van full of dirt...grout...mortar thin set....and a lot of hungry hot children!  We got the job done and even bought paint for the ceiling (*SHUDDER*) and walls.  I figure I needed to get that job done before the tile was put in place...less mess that way!

When I got home I painted the ceiling.  Just as I was finishing the last 4x4 area over the bathtub...the ceiling started peeling off as I painted!  There must be a texture that is on the ceiling and it just peeled off when I rolled the paint on!  I decided I was done painting for the day!

Also, got a phone call from my brother, Nathan, who is a plumber.  He has promised to come out on Wednesday night and look at all the plumb work and see if he can get it figured out for me.  Hopefully my new faucets will arrive before he gets here.  I am so thankful for Nathan because I really do not know what I am doing at this point.  He is very kind to come here on such short notice.

Steve also called to find out about the how long the counter would be delayed.  I told him about the day and he offered to come out and help with the cement board.  He also offered to come back and texture the ceiling so I can try to paint.  I was so thankful for this.  I hope we can get the painting done before Saturday but I am just going to do my best at this point.

SO in spite of the set backs...I know we can get this done...even if it means Michael helps me through the tale end of the job.  As I often say...everything happens for a reason...I am just going to run with it and hope for the best.  God is good...all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment