Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cousins and Friends

I cannot tell you how enjoyable my day was today!  The dreaded trip back to pick up the girls from their camping trip was made easier when I got word from my cousin (Karen) that she could meet us!

So the boys, Zaira and I loaded up in the van a little earlier than planned and drove to Jefferson...historical town in northeast Texas.  We both arrived at roughly the same time and wandered around to view the sites...including a general store with soda fountain...and museums (need to go back to get a closer look at exhibits.

Since it was just a short trip we decided to just enjoy a root beer float at the general store and then lunch at a hometown restaurant called The Bakery.  The food was great and so fresh!  Zaira especially enjoyed the sugar cookie our waitress gave her while the rest of us waited for our meal.  But best of all was the conversation.  Karen and I can always get together and talk until we run out of time...and wish we had more.  We really want to get together just the two of us so my darling rambunctious crew does not distract us a million times.  It is good to have such a connection with my dear cousin.

I wish we could have stayed longer but we were off to pick up the girls as planned at 2pm.  I arrived just before our scheduled pick up time, and the girls came running to greet me.  I thought they were joking but they seriously were glad to be back in an air conditioned vehicle.  It seems they had issues with their boat out on the lake and spent most of a 6-hour trip paddling against the current!  They were hot...sunburned...and ready to get home to rest.

The girls did say that they truly enjoyed the experience...including the raccoon that entered their camp site and a stalker on the trail (Not real funny but I did tell them before I left them that a criminal had broke out of jail...I guess that was not funny as they confronted this night time hiker very bravely!).

They also spoke of the wonderful fellow campers who shared supplies that the girls forgot to pack.  I had told the park ranger that they were being left without a vehicle due to a car accident...I guess word got around to the other rangers because the girls said they rarely had to walk from site to site...the rangers took very good care of them!  Ending the experience with the girls having their boat towed in by a larger motorized craft.  Memories like these will not soon be forgotten.

The girls are sleeping but I will add some of their pictures and get them to tell more of their adventures tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment