Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Where Have All the Babies Gone?

Almost 56 million babies lost to abortion in the last 40 years.  It reminds me of a song that played many years ago..."Where have all the Flowers Gone?"...the mournful tune of wondering on the demise of youth due to war.  Over the last 40 years, we have battled within our own land against our own citizens...some call a war on reproductive rights...I like to think of it more about the human rights...innocent lives lost so many that you can hardly grasp the number.  I read that if you were to combine the population in states of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia you would have the number of babies lost to abortion over the last 40 years!

I think that most people when asked if killing of a baby is wrong, they would say yes.  Unfortunately, we come to a point in this situation that abortion has become "normal."  We have not one but two generations (and working on a third!) that have lived in a world where abortion is considered legal.  A sad state of living indeed when we lose sight of the dignity of life.  I told someone recently that is hard to believe that we live in a world where the most amazing blessing of a baby can be thrown away for trash, yet trash is being held up in esteem as art!  We live in a mixed up world indeed!

I am a part of the first generation...born just days after the Roe vs Wade decision by the Supreme Court that allowed abortion to be legal.  I have lived my life...happily within a loving home...I know that my parents would never have considered abortion.  However, I consider myself a 'survivor' to this horrific atrocity of abortion.  Where have all my friends gone?  The ones who left us...every one...When will they ever learn?  When will they ever learn?  Unfortunately, statistics state that one in three women will have had an abortion by the time they are 45 years old!  That just hurts thinking about it!

So, I could sit here all day thinking about the tragedy of the situation.  However, I choose not to do this...instead I will go out and do what I can to prevent a woman from making this mistake or possibly be there to let one know that God forgives and heals...I go out and pray at a clinic that provides abortions...in our community the abortions are given via a pill but the clinic often refers women to a larger facility for surgical abortions.  I have promised others that if they wish to pray with me, then I will be in front of the clinic all day.

I hope to come back this evening and update this post with thoughts that come to mind throughout the day of prayer.  I hope that you will take some time in reflection today as well.

So....I am home after praying at our local Planned Parenthood all day.  As I re-read my post above, I realize I was a little negative in the early morning hours of reflection.  That was not my intent...I must say that there have been many changes and Pro-life activities over the years that have risen up because...I believe...the common man (AND woman) know that abortion is evil and want to find the truth...even those who approve of abortion.  I see it all the time....women who are set in their ways stop and scream at me that I am wasting my time and that I hate women.  However, those who actually stop and talk to me usually calm down and realize that in the end they are seeking something more...relief from the agony they are feeling inside....forgiveness.

This happened today...a young woman stepped out of her car...with an attitude but not angry..."What does your sign mean?"...pointing to my 40 Days for Life sign...I politely told her about our efforts to pray for the end to abortion.  She told me that I was right to pray in front of the clinic...abortion is wrong and they [Planned Parenthood] should not do it.  I told her to be careful when going into the clinic and she went inside.  I sat on edge for the next two and half hours waiting for her to come back out.  I had Henry take a brochure to her about Planned Parenthood...I pray she will read it.

It was a slow day for the clinic (Praise God!) with less than 10 clients throughout the day.  Surprisingly, there were several sheriff from different counties that passed by our vigil...they all waved.  It made me realize that these men of service must see enough violence to know that life is already wasted enough.

I also enjoyed the company of other prayer partners throughout the day...we sang, we prayed, we spoke about the importance of life.  It may seem odd to say that the time was enjoyed but it was a lovely day for praising God and praying for conversion.

We also left the vigil in time to go to Mass as noon.  Our bishop asked us to all unite in praying 40 Hail Mary's for each year since Roe vs Wade...we gladly accepted the ability to join in this unified effort of prayer.

We finished praying just in time to have Michael take over for me...covering the last two hours with prayer...while I taught a class for 4H.  Then we met up back at home to have a party for our birthday boy, Brendan...It was so nice to celebrate as a family.  Brendan was quite pleased to be the center of attention for the day.  He loved his new treasure trove of Legos and his 'pocket watch' from Gramma.  We all gave him a special blessing before tucking him into bed after a full day.

Brendan is our special little sign of hope for our Pro-life family.  Brendan Vincent...The Prince who will Conquer...we know that God has an amazing plan for the future of our nation.  I pray that we see a conversion of heart in my life time.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment