Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Charming Catherine

This morning, I was looking through the list of the remaining memorials I wanted to share on the blog.  I cam across the quilt design for Catherine and thought..."What a charming little girl!"  I guess I am not the only one who thought so because that is the word used to describe her in many of the articles that came up on a quick internet search.

At age six, Catherine had a love for animals, pink flowers and dress up.  Sounds like many a little girl, right?  However, there is something about her sweet smile in her pictures that says she was a joy.  Her parents tell in a brief statement that her smile was a constant in their house.

I suppose we will never fully understand why such a child could be killed so tragically.  We can wonder about what her future held, but that is not the purpose of life...not this world but the next.  She just got there a little faster than the rest of us.  I am sure she is smiling down on her family and friends now.  I pray that they have opened their hearts and find peace in knowing that that charming smile of hers is not gone, but instead is shining brighter than ever.

In the Scripture readings for today, I continued from the First letter of John...once again I think that the connection is a reflection on all of those lost at Sandy Hook.  "No one has ever seen God.  Yet, if we love one another, God remains in us, and his love is brought to perfection in us." (1 John 4:11-18)  The lives of the children, like Catherine, shared the innocent love that God treasures.  We cannot physically see God but we can see the actions of love through their lives.

I also read from the Gospel of Matthew...this is the story of Jesus walking on water.  The disciples in the boat become scared by the sight, and Jesus says, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid." (6:45-52) During this time, we must find the courage to move forward.  By focusing on Jesus and having Him on our boat, we can also learn to not be afraid of our future.  He will help guide us into a new life more full than this one.  So even though the tragedy at Sandy Hook is unbelievably painful, we need courageous faith in believing in the unseen.

I pray today that we can all find that courageous faith in our own personal tragedies.  God has a plan and He will be victorious.  All the evil of this world will come to an end...we must prepare ourselves for our time when the unseen becomes a beatific vision, even greater than the charming smile of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment