Total Pageviews

Friday, January 4, 2013

Anne Marie Remembered

Today is the feast day of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.  She is the first native-born American acknowledged as a saint.  She is a special saint to us because she is known for her work in education, especially for underprivileged children.  She founded the American Sisters of Charity, a community of teaching sisters which began Catholic schools throughout the United States.

Our home school is dedicated to her witness of faith.  I often think of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton for an example of patience when I am struggling with my own dear students.  I need all the help I can get to be the best teacher for my children.  Praying today that we will continue to enjoy our break and then start back fresh for the second half of our school year.

This reminds me of another Ann...Anne Marie...another educator who spent her shortened life to bring the best to her classroom.  She spent much of her teaching career helping students with special needs, especially focusing on autistic children.  She is the epitome of sacrificial action, as she was found wrapped around a child (Dylan) in a desperate attempt to save his life.  Anne has been praised for this final selfless act; however, I cannot help but think that Anne most likely lived this way her entire life.

At home, she was also a dedicated wife and a mother of four.  She enjoyed the Arts and being outside.  She will missed by so many family and friends.

Today is the ELEVENTH day of Christmas...eleven pipers piping...the 11 faithful Apostles.  I can see Anne as being faithful as well.  Just as the Apostles went out to spread the Good News with words and actions, Anne spread God's message of love and dedication to others through her witness.  May she rest in peace.

Today, we head back home after a wonderful week of being with my mom.  I am happy to have had this time but look forward to getting back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment