Total Pageviews

Friday, January 18, 2013

Remembering Jack

I have a late post today because it has been a full day out and about for our family today.  However, Jack was not far from our minds as we knew he was to be remembered today on my blog post.

I started the day early...putting together another quilt before most of the house was awake.  Edward came down just as I had the fabric blocks set up to sew and he helped with the straight stitches.  I enjoyed this quilt because I think I am finally getting into a rhythm of sewing again and it turned out nice.  I did use a different material for the backing and realized too late that it is not quite big enough to use a technique I have for easy binding, but it was worth the switch to make this quilt unique for the family of the little girl it will be sent to in Newtown.

I got this quilt completed just before I was to head out the door to meet a prayer group in front of Planned Parenthood.  This group meets weekly to pray for the end to abortion in our nation and throughout the world.  I had been a part of this group until I had too many wild boys and not enough hands.  Now that Michael is back in town, I felt like I could spend some time in prayer with them.  I often go out sporadically on my own but it is nice to have a group (where two of three are gathered in His name!)

After praying with the group, they told me some disturbing news...a doctor has been regularly coming to the clinic on Friday afternoons.  Until this time their nurse practitioner has taken care of all the medical paperwork...our clinic does not perform surgical abortions...we pray that it never starts...this appearance of a doctor does not look good.  One of the women knows the doctor by sight and asks what we should do about it...I volunteer to talk with his pastor in hopes he will talk to the doctor.  Please pray with me that we are wrong and that his pastor will explain why connection with Planned Parenthood often leads to abortion.

I then met up with the rest of the family.  We were going to a stage presentation of Huck Finn.  I thought of Jack and his love for adventure and all things related to boyhood...I am thinking he would have enjoyed the telling of this adventurous boy, Huck.  I also thought Huck, had he 'lived' in our time would have enjoyed a nice game of soccer or football with Jack.

The way the play was presented...we saw a grown up Huck remembering when he was young...it had a more subdued mood with the audience captured into the emotions of the scene.  The theme was that of regret...Huck choosing to change the story to avoid the reality of his consequences.  It made me think about how the family of the children must relive that morning trying to decide if there was a way to avoid reality.  It is not uncommon to use this coping mechanism within our mind to avoid an emotional event.  I stop and pray that Jack's family finds a way to grieve in a healthy way.

We have been cooped up in our house for so many days (due to illness and weather)...I decided to send the boys out to play when we got home.  It is so nice to hear them running around outside playing together.  I can not imagine hearing their play without one of them present.  They each bring something to the mix...making the interplay so fun to hear.  I stop and enjoy this...appreciating the moment...knowing they are growing up and these days are so short in the scheme of things.  It reminds me of a song..."Let Them Be Little" that I heard today.  I like to play this song on the days when I am thinking they need to grow up or wish they were quieter...maybe I should listen to it more often...LOL!

I am now listening to the boys prepare dinner as I type this post.  They really are a good group of boys when they want to be {WINK}....so it has been a good day...maybe we will even get a head start on another quilt after the meal.  Hoping we can enjoy this last week of our school break.  Have I said this yet?  I love having my family all back together...I love  them all so much and proud to be a wife and mom...even on those hard days when I wonder how I got here...LOL...life is good....Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment