Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 18, 2020

A Trip to the ER and the "C" Word?

 April 18 (Saturday) my mom was determined I go to ER so she contacted my brother (Damian) who is an ER nurse. He convinced me that I was taking a bigger risk not going to ER. He said the symptoms sounded like gall bladder and I should go immediately. Always the mother, I told him I wanted to wait until Michael was home (he was working a Saturday shift), children were fed, and we had put the littles to bed. 

So around 8pm, Michael drove me to the ER. He was not allowed to enter hospital as a non-patient. So he waited in parking lot. I entered thinking worst case scenario was I would have gall bladder surgery. 

I entered the waiting area and there were only two other brave souls (or very ill) who were willing to take the chance and go to ER. 

I was seen within 30 minutes and I was told right away that my vitals looked great. My pain level was a 6 out of 10 so would I like some morphine. I laughed and told them I don’t even take Tylenol for headaches and I would be OK. They put me on an IV and thought I need to be hydrated. 

Within an hour I was meeting the doctor and he wheeled in a portable ultrasound. Upon examination, he told me all looked great with my gall bladder. Good news!  But he thought my liver looked enlarged. Not so good!  

He asked if I would like further testing. i said he could do whatever he felt necessary to find answers. So off I went to CT scan, blood work, and more precise ultrasound. These tests took some time. I did not finish these tests until 2am. 

The doctor came in around 4am and told me that I had large masses in my liver. There was nothing else he could do for me in ER. I needed to follow up with my primary care doctor and set up a referral with an oncologist. 

He never mentioned cancer. But I guess it was implied. I remained serious about it all and just thanked him for all he had dine to help me. He asked to shake my hand and again offered morphine for the pain. 

In fact, the last thing done for me before discharge was to remove the IV. The nurse came in and said the doctor wanted to offer me morphine one last time before removing the IV. I guess that was the only comfort he felt he could give me. 

I thank him and the hospital staff for their care and setting me at ease throughout this first night of discovery. I never felt alone and they were kind throughout all the tests. 

Michael (bless his heart) waited eight hours for me in the parking lot with very little information. We were both glad to make it home and have a little sleep before the others woke up for Sunday Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment