Total Pageviews

Monday, November 5, 2012

Praying for Our Nation

The outcome of our nation is heavy on my heart today...as the election tomorrow just will not leave my mind.  I do not have a sense of worry so much as that of concern.  Is there a difference? I just want the citizens of our nation to pray and seek wisdom before going off to vote.  Yet, I know that God has a plan bigger than we can understand and He will use the choices of humanity to His end.

I began the day with morning prayer...I read from James 2:12-17..."Always speak and act as men destined for judgment under the law of freedom....My brothers, what good is it to profess faith without practicing it?"  How can we not vote our conscience tomorrow?  We must with informed wisdom choose the greater of the two men to serve our nation as leader!  I cannot tell anyone who to vote for in this election, but I can tell you that the person who will uphold the truths of freedom that so many have fought and died for in our nation is the one that will serve our country well.

So, we went about our day...school work, art class, and even a trip to the college ministry to clean out closets of altar supplies.  Always with the thoughts of the election on my mind.  It is all about people making choices...we make choices everyday for ourselves.  Tomorrow we are making a choice for our nation.  Will those who choose to selfishly think only of their own welfare please stop and think about those around you as well?  Stop taking until our nation is broken!  Take the time to see the full picture of your actions!

Amanda called to tell me about her internship ending.  A ceremony with special honors took place today.  She was given several awards for her strengths in the program.  She even got a special award for her efforts.  I am so proud of her and know that she will be successful as she continues to make her way in the world.  I pray for all our young adults (especially Amanda) to learn to discern life.

We rushed home to grab our cupcakes (made earlier in the day)...Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!  Then off to take Sean to his county 4H meeting.  While he was in his meeting, I was able to focus on the prayers for our 40 Days for Life rally.  May God give me the wisdom to speak to those in attendance tonight!

Then the phone call from the woman living with us at this time.  Our little car she is driving has a dead battery!  She must have left the lights on ALL DAY!!!!  I try to jump start the car but nothing is helping!  It is dark so the only option is to leave it overnight!

We race to get to a church and it turns out we are earlier than anyone else!  Others trickle in to the church where we gather for prayer.  We share stories of our experiences at the abortion clinic.  We had some stories of being able to talk to the women who enter the clinic.  We spoke about the court cases filed against them...the doctor who frequents the clinic...the case referencing a possible abortion performed at the clinic....the women who know abortion is wrong but choose to go to the clinic anyway.  We also spoke of the success of the national 40 Days for Life campaign...saving over 600 babies and the prayer to end abortion spreading across the world.  And most of all, we prayed!

I read from Psalm 31...I broke the Psalm into three parts and showed how it relates to women who choose abortion.  Did you know that it is believed that 40% of women who abort are church-going women?  I spoke to those present about the beginning of the Psalm as a woman who is strong in her faith.  She knows that her strength comes from God.  Yet, at some point she makes a wrong choice.  The second part is that of despair...she has lost her way and feels like everyone around her is judging her choices.  There is no hope in her life.  Will we be the one to help her or judge her and cast her aside as worthless?  Then someone urges her to seek forgiveness...God nudges her to come back to her faith!  The third section is that of new hope and forgiveness.  She seeks God's mercy and finds it has always been available to her!  That is why I go out to the clinic to pray...hoping that if I can help just one woman find that Grace then it was worth the time and effort.

I then shared that the society that we live in has the net that traps those who are most vulnerable. The society that thinks nothing of killing a child for convenience does not care about the pain caused by abortion.  Looking at my own experience having children...time and time again being told that abortion would be easier than having a child!  There is not a child that we have been blessed with that I can imagine being without!  Such blessings that God has given us!  These are the traps that tempt women to believe that abortion is the answer.  So we prayed for an end to this mindset in our nation.

I end this post with the thoughts running through my head that God's plan will lead us in the right direction.  2 Timothy 1:7 gives me the courage to go to bed tonight without worry.  "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."

No comments:

Post a Comment