Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

What is Thanksgiving like in our house?  Well, as I told my husband this morning...it is a good thing I know what I am thankful for the other 364 days of the year!

Normally, we have a nice turkey dinner just like the millions of other families across the nation.  Most importantly, we go to Mass and celebrate the ultimate thanksgiving feast in the Eucharist.  Sometimes this is done with other family members, but lately it has become more of an intimate dinner with just the children.

However, this year Michael and Amanda are away.  We chose not to go to spend the holiday with others.  AND...I am sick!  Nothing too terrible...just a nasty cold that got into my chest and does not sound pretty.

So...you can imagine...I do not want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  And...I am sure the boys do not want me hacking over their meal anyway.  I guess it was a good thing I did not plan to be around others, right?

The boys have decided that they can handle the cooking...yet another thing to be thankful for this year....boys that can cook!  They made cherry pie and sweet potato pie.  We did not do a big turkey but had turkey breast instead.  Then they made a delicious vegetable medley of asparagus and Brussels sprouts.

The big surprise was cutting open what we think is butternut squash...picked from our crazy run away garden.  Let me start by saying...the squash never did turn yellow like butternut squash normally does....it was green even though it was obviously ready to be picked.  So when it was cut open we were surprised to find that it smelled like cantaloupe!  I decided to cook it regardless and it was so tasty!

We had a lovely dinner mid afternoon and then enjoyed watching The Andy Griffith Show while we took turns getting cleaned up for church.

Mass was a small group but we enjoyed the time worshiping together.  I read from Paul's letter to the Corinthians (1:3-9).  I placed it here in its entirety because it just touched on how I feel today:


Brothers and sisters:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father
and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I give thanks to my God always on your account
for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus,
that in him you were enriched in every way,
with all discourse and all knowledge,
as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you,
so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift
as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He will keep you firm to the end,
irreproachable on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God is faithful,
and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

So, regardless the day's events...good and bad...I am thankful.  I am blessed to be alive and have a wonderful family.  I have a husband who loves me (I love him too!).  I have children who know the importance of the Lord.  I am satisfied with these blessings today and always...lest I never forget...I am thankful for a day like today to remind me!

God bless everyone and happy Thanksgiving Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment