Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy All Saint's Day


All Saints' Day is one of my favorite feast days!  While others are dressing up like scary creatures and who know what (not saying you can't do this...just not for me!), like to look at this day for my fall feast day!

Why?  Because it reminds me of my goal in life!  To one day be in heaven with all the other saints.  The only way for me to get there is to hope for the promises of Jesus to be true and that my belief in Him...our Savior...to save me from my wretchedness.  Sounds dramatic and out of this world....but oh so true!  I am a sinner and it is only through Jesus that I could possibly get to the place of perfection that He has in store for all who believe in Him.

So, today I remember all those who followed in His way throughout the last 2000+ years, especially those in our times...our parents...grandparents...friends and family...who have gone before us.  And, I dream of the day when we will all be together in heaven.

Since we do not even try to presume who has made it into those 'pearly gates,' we can only pray that our loved ones are in fact there.  I think it is funny that when most people say not to judge others they usually refer to those who have done something wrong.  However, the way I look at it...I have no right to judge those who appear to have done good in their lives either.  We have no idea what is in ANYONE'S heart...so we are not to assume anyone is in heaven.  I leave it up to the Greatest Judge who is merciful and all-knowing.

So we went to church this afternoon and listened to the wise teaching from the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus introduced the Beatitudes to the people (Matthew 5:1-12).  What a message!  Can we really say we want this life of a Christian...and yet with the irony of such a life, we are able to live more fully in Christ!  That is what it means to be a saint!

So glad God gives us the grace we need to continue in this world.  So glad that I too will one day have that opportunity to stand before my Creator and ask to be carried in through those pearly gates because that is the only way I will be counted among the saints in heaven!

So, for all those saints in heaven unnamed and named, may we look to you as examples of Christ in this world.  Praise God that we have been given true heroes of the faith!  May we look to the saints as ever present examples of what Christ asks of us as his followers.  God bless all who have come before us to show us the way throughout time.

No comments:

Post a Comment