Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hibernation

I have not been writing a lot on my blog lately (This will change in the next few weeks as Advent begins on Sunday and I want to share my thoughts on the season!).  It is not because we have not been doing a lot, although our activities have slowed down.  You cannot keep this crew idle for long!

However, around this time of year when the temperatures get below freezing, I tend to hibernate.  I tell people that I think my blood freezes around 45 degrees...I just cannot seem to get it together and function after that point.  So, the best thing for me to do is stay in my pajamas until it warms up each day!

You know the boys do not mind, as they get to stay in bed a little longer each morning as well.  But the odd part for me is that I tend to go to bed a little earlier in the evening as well.  Therefore, if you know me, you can see why I do not get much writing done on my blog.  All my serious (and extra) work gets done after the boys go to bed!  It is my down time at the end of the day and writing this blog is one of those things I like to do to unwind after a busy day of activities.

The last couple of weeks I have missed this 'therapy' and decided that even though I want to snuggle in my warm bed, I would take some time to write each night anyway.  My husband suggested that I just take my laptop to bed with me but, in spite of what some of you think, I just cannot bring myself to that level of technology just yet!

SO...what have we been doing lately?  A lot of schoolwork!  We have been doing what I like to call  'speed schooling.'  Our regular leisurely pace as been put on fast mode as we are doubling up on school so we can finish a second quarter before the holidays.  We usually take the entire month of December off but we have postponed that break until we finish as well.

Why the change in schedule?  We are getting ourselves ready for the return of Michael and Amanda.  We will still be preparing for the big event of the season (more on that later!) However, Michael will be home from his deployment in January and Amanda is coming home for a visit soon after.  We just could not do school work while this was happening!  Their arrival coming around this time of year will bring new meaning to our Advent devotions so I will talk about this some more in the weeks to come as well.

Going through school in this quick way might seem pointless but we are still learning and enjoying the lessons (for the most part!).  Last night we did a fun science experiment!  I wish we could have taken pictures but it was not possible.  We have been studying about weather.  The experiment was easy and I will not tell you the out come because I want you to try it yourself!  Grab a blown up balloon and head to a dark closet!  Rub the balloon on your head and hold out your opposite hand in a fist.  Bring the balloon close to your hand without touching!  Observe closely to see what happens!  It was so awesome!

We also watched the installation of our new bishop yesterday.  We had wanted to attend the ceremony in person but it was not possible. We were thankful to be able to watch on the internet instead.  It was still a beautiful ceremony and we can see that our bishop understands the younger population in his diocese.  We look forward to seeing him on Saturday (more on that later!)

We did not have a big Thanksgiving dinner with family this year.  We decided to stay home and enjoy each other.  However, last Saturday was my mother's birthday, so we headed her way to spend the day with her.  It was a quick trip but it was worth the drive.  All of my siblings got together to help buy her a special clock she had her eye on for some time.  It is a funny clock that moves the numbers around to music on the hour!  It is called a rhythm clock!  Also, we enjoyed meal time with two of my brothers along with the interesting conversation.  It was a good time!

The next day the boys and I had the joy of assisting the priest at Mass.  The boys were all altar servers and I was a lector.  This was especially nice because it is one of our favorite feast days of the year...Christ the King.  The boys carried in the two crowns of Christ, the crown of thorns and the magnificent glorified crown!  Our dear friends in the back pew took on the role of grandparents without a hitch and held Zaira and Brendan while I read about the glorified Christ in Revelation chapter 1.

The boys also made their first big purchase on their own.  They have  been saving for many weeks for a Kindle Fire.  They had the money saved but I asked them to wait for a good deal as I knew the holiday shopping would give them a better deal.  Sure enough the week before Thanksgiving the shopping frenzy began and the boys were able to get their Kindle Fire for a 'steal.'  They are pressing me to get games and books on their device.  If only they knew how little I know about technology, but I am learning.  I wonder what my grandparents would say if I told them I was reading a book that is in a cloud?  It even baffles my mind and have no desire to know how it works!  Our world will never be the same! Will our children ever just look up at the sky and see an elephant shaped cloud?  Seems to me we will need to have no-tech days during our winter vacation!  I would hate for them to miss out on such adventures!

We have also enjoyed watching Zaira grow.  She is such a joy!  She is already rolling from side to side and trying to sit up on her own.  The boys love to watch her do sit-ups!  It is hard tobelieve she is almost 4 months old!  She is also showing us how smart she is as she not only sits and observes her world but wants to interact with it and those in it.

Zaira has taken in the Kindle fun!  In just a week, she has figured out that Brendan's puzzle game is a lot of fun!  Once a piece of the puzzle is in place, you can click on it and it spins around.  Zaira noticed this and likes to touch the screen to make it spin.  Also, after the puzzle is complete, balloons appear and you can pop them by touching them.  Zaira gets upset with Brendan if he pops them all and does not give her a turn.  How does a less than 4-month-old baby figure this out?!  I would not believe it if I did not see it for myself!  The picture shows her little hands in motion...notice her feet trying to pull the Kindle close to her as well!  Amazing!

Much to do in the next few weeks.  I am looking forward to sharing them with you.  IF I can get out of my warm fuzzy blanket, I will type up some of our adventures and Advent traditions.  It will be good motivation for me to not be a grouchy old bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment