Total Pageviews

Friday, March 5, 2021

My Many Forms of Therapy

I am sure there are those wondering how I am doing this week.  Not much to report.  I have been breezing through my radiation treatments this week...another week to go.  I did have a little bit of nausea the last couple of days but barely noticeable. 


I did have a nice text conversation with a friend of mine who is also going through extensive cancer treatment.  We both agreed that the best thing when placed in this situation is to have support and finding ways to enjoy the time we are not in treatments.  It made me think about how blessed I am to have this ability and how it truly lifts we up in spite of all the doctor visits and treatments.


There are four things that give me the energy and strength to continue. This has never changed throughout all of this last year and will continue to lead me through the tough days.


God is my strength.  


"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." Psalm 28: 7


My strong faith in God is in all I am and always has been a big part of my life.  It is through God’s grace that I can have this relationship. I pray daily and part of my therapy is daily Mass.  I actually told the scheduler this last week...absolutely no more appointments before 10 am (We will see if that is possible.).  It is because others pray for me that I feel lifted up most days. My treatments would be very different if my focus was not on prayer and offering my suffering for others.


Having the joy of God by my side is much like the Footprints in the Sand image.  God carries me during my hard times.  


The Support of Family and Friends


"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity."  Proverbs 17:17


My support from family and friends is quite humbling and appreciated. I am lifted up in prayer and support so much that I have no where to fall. 


Recently on a fun geocaching trip, we had all the crew with us and a few extra cachers too.  Our Little Miss wanted to climb a tree for a find.  It was probably 20 feet up the tree but an easy climb.  I told her to have a try, but our Brave Leader and these other three men were being more protective.  They let her climb the tree but they were hands up and ready to catch her.  She literally had a safety net below her!  She climbed the tree...made the find...and made her way down again.  


That image of those men ready to catch her...it made me think about all the hands that come together in prayer and God's loving hands there ready to catch me...it is very powerful! That is how I feel now. Always knowing that should I be in need in any way my family and friends will be there. There are so many who do nit have this at the clinic and it makes me so sad.


Breathing in the Fresh Air


"Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy."  Psalm 96: 11-12


Where many have physical issues related to cancer or other medical issues that requires physical therapy.  I have been very fortunate that my cancer and treatments have only had minor short term effects.  However, I still believe my body needs my own version of physical therapy.  This is actually not a new thing for me.  I think I have required this therapy since I was a little girl.  I just have to spend part of my week getting outside and breathing fresh air. Geocaching allows that to happen with purpose. I would do it anyway because it reminds me of my childhood living on a dirt road in East Texas. Getting back to my dirt road backwoods no pollution brings me energy that cleanses my soul and my lungs. Geocaching is just the avenue to make it happen. I would not have it any other way. I am glad to even have that ability within the city...San Antonio has amazing trails. When I cannot get out for the actual cache find, I at least roll down my window and take in that fresh air.


After all of this...My Medical Team


"Behold, I will bring to it health and healing, and I will heal them; and I will reveal to them an abundance of peace and truth."  Jeremiah 33:6


After all of these mentioned effects come together to give me the needed benefits...Then and only then I rely on the doctors and what they bring to the table. I look at it like this...being well with my soul must come before the doctors can take a crack at what to do medically. I know they are the professionals and experts of their field. I do not question what they feel is right for me. I just feel like the other must be in place first. When all else is in order then when the pain and side effects one into play I can deal with it knowing I have prepared myself in all other ways. And more importantly I am open to God’s will to work through my body and the knowledge of the doctors.


God is good. There is no other needs I have at this time. We will pray for each other. I told another friend with cancer that we are survivors. Each day we enjoy on this earth is a another day we have survived cancer. It might get us in the end but I choose to live through my cancer.


God bless.

1 comment: