Total Pageviews

Friday, March 19, 2021

Treatment for a Unicorn

For those of you wondering how my chemo treatments went this week, I kind of slept the week away.  


I arrived at the center on Monday and quickly met with Dr. Drengler.  He had a surprise for me and I think he was quite excited that I would be able to start immediately.  The immuno-therapy that we discussed at my last appointment had been approved by insurance.  He reviewed the protocol and had set up for me to begin the new treatment instead of chemo.  


According to Dr. Drengler, this new treatment is supposed to put my immune system into hyper-drive in hopes my body will attack the cancer, which would be great.  However, the treatment could also make my immune system attack my other body systems. So I need to keep my focus and watch for warning signs that my body is shutting down in some way. I guess he has me walking a tightrope with this one, but if it works then it is supposed to be a very effective treatment.  


When I went to the treatment room, the nurse was very concerned that I understand the side effects of the treatment.  Also, she wanted to watch me very closely for at least an hour after treatment was completed.  She delayed treatment to verify the dosage was correct because apparently Dr. Drengler set up a dose that was not typical dosage.  After a short delay, the nurse came back assured that my treatment could continue.  I told her that I have always been considered the "weird" patient, and she stopped and said, "You are not weird.  You are our unicorn!"  Yay me!!!  


The one big change is this treatment plan is only a one day treatment that only took about two hours.  It is only one treatment each month for the next three months.  At the end of the three months, I will have new scans done to see the effectiveness of the treatments.  


So, everything has been going well but the treatment has made me VERY tired.  My mom, always the nurse, told me that the treatment must be having its effect because my body is trying to get me to sleep so it can get to work fighting the cancer.  So, I sleep.  I do a little and then I sleep some more.  I have a few other minor side effects (mainly headaches, diarrhea and chills).  


I am so thankful for my family who continue to take up the every day tasks.  Tasks that do not happen can be put off for another day.  Also, I am glad we decided to take the week off to spend time with Henry (home for his Spring Break).  We were able to celebrate his 21st birthday this week also.  


All in all, it has been a laid back week.  We have a busy weekend ahead of us, so I hope I can do what needs to happen.  However, I know everything will happen as it should.  If I have learned anything this last year, I have learned that keeping things simple is the best way to allow the memories to enter in more fully.  And, when we allow God to enter into our everyday activities, the memories include the joy that only He can bring.  So when I am too tired or the side effects make it difficult to feel happy, I know I can still have a feeling of joy in my surroundings.  May God bless you this week with his everlasting joy!


1 comment: