Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Easter Baskets

The last two days our family has been helping fill Easter baskets.  We began last night with our 4H group (more on that on my 4H blog).  It was a good experience and only took an hour to complete 15 baskets for dialysis patients.

Then we got together today with our home school group to assist a parish wide effort to serve over 300 families from various shelters (battered, abused, foster care, families of incarcerated, and more).  What I thought would just be simple baskets turned out to be quite elaborate.  However, it also provided clothing, household supplies, blankets, and toys.

We started out slow...filling eggs with candy.  Everyone was sorting and following the directions of a well organized woman.  We broke for lunch (potluck foods from all the volunteers).

Then I was asked to help in the kitchen.  I thought I was just going to help with clean up.  I was quite surprised to hear we would be dipping large pretzel sticks with chocolate as well as making rice crispy treats.  I have never been good at completing either task.  Thankfully, another mom cmae to my rescue and guided the activities.  I continued the clean up tasks and helped package the finished products.

The children worked on various projects as well.  Sean helped move items into baskets and later helped make the rice crispy treats.  Henry took pictures and helped make candy baskets.  The younger ones enjoyed packaging items and playing tag in between.

I over heard that they were low on soap and cleaners...we happen to have several boxes given to us after we installed a water softener.  I think we will go back tomorrow to drop these items off and see if more work needs to be done.

The best part of the day?  Seeing the multi-generational effort for a common cause...I just love being a part of a big group when it comes to community service.








No comments:

Post a Comment