Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Obedience

We are taught from an early age to obey our parents.  With children ranging from 2 to 22 years old in my house, I see the stages of this at all levels.  And let us not forget the adults!

"Honor thy father and thy mother..." (Exodus 20:12a)


It is such an important commandment that a promise is attached to it...

"...so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you." (Exodus 20:12b)

Of course this is about the parents but it also goes a step further if we realize that the importance of this commandment is to honor authority.  The idea of being obedient is the first step in this authority. This obedience begins at a young age and we learn from our parents.  This continues into adulthood as we expand that obedience to those in charge of various situations in our lives.  Ultimately, the obedience relates to the obedience we have in our morality, which should lead us to obedience to God.

We have recently had to deal with disobedience that caused destruction to our home.  I won't name names, but it was very frustrating experience because the child made matters worse by not want to take responsibility for the results.  This has become a growing concern in our home and quite frustrating.

This reminds me to go back to my blog post on patience!  I know things happen and there will be rebellious behavior and disobedience, but to not take responsibility is not an option...if you know you have done something wrong (and even if you do not think it is wrong) at least stand up and face the consequences.

I always like to use the story of the two sons who are asked to be obedient found in the Gospel of Matthew 21:23-32.  The first son is asked to do the task and refuses but then does the work anyway.  When the second son is asked to do a task, he agrees to be obedient and then does not follow through with the task.

As an adult, this often happens when caring for a parent.  In fact, this just happened to me.  My mother called and asked if I could help her put up a new light fixture.  It was not a complicated job and she knew I had done it before in my house.  I told her that I would try to do the job but I could not get to her house in the near future.  I really was putting her off because I knew that she had sons who could do the task who also came to her house weekly.  Why couldn't they do the job?

However, after I got off the phone, I could really sense the need to do this task for her.  She had asked me...why was I not being obedient?  So, I gathered up the children and we made a day trip to see my mom and help her with her light.  I was so glad I did this and she was so thankful as well.  The best part was being able to go see her and talk with her...so different than talking on the phone.  I realize that sometimes it is not the task at hand so much as being present.

Do we make ourselves present to God?  Do we take the step closer to Him to enrich our relationship?
I go back to my destructive child...it was not even the fact that he broke the garage door...very expensive fix...but it was the fact that our relationship is broken...he took away from our trust by his disobedient choice to not be responsible.

I must be merciful as he will hopefully turn his decision around and accept his responsibility.   I hope I am ready to be patient with him and do this...I feel that I must as I know that God has done this for me.


1 comment:

  1. I love what you had to say here. This makes so much sense to me.

    ReplyDelete