Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pi Day

How in the world am I going to tie in Pi Day to my Lenten journey.  I really did not think it was possible.  However, I love numbers and Pi has always fascinated me.  I had to find a way!  This day is special to me, so it has become special to my children.  After all, who can resist a "holiday" that includes eating pies to celebrate!


We have been on a trip to Corpus Christi this weekend thanks to a National Guard Youth Symposium.  The boys (Sean Henry, and Edward) enjoyed a day of learning leadership skills and meeting other National Guard youth from around the state with the purpose of representing the needs of youth in Texas.  They had a great time.  I love that they wanted to be here and that they want to make a difference for other youth.

We also started the morning taking pictures along the way.  Corpus Christi seems to be an artsy kind of town.  There was artwork everywhere we went.  It was fun "interacting" with the art as you can see in some of our pictures.


The rest of us were looking for something to do for the day.  We found a science museum directly across from the convention center.  YAY!  They had a Pi Day celebration!  We had a great time going through the regular exhibits and then Pi activities.


We returned to the hotel to rest and I found my link to my Lenten posts...I could not have said it better myself, so I quote from another blog...


















3/14/15 9:26:53

Which is pi.

This will happen only once in the history of time.

The world ends. Prepare yourself.

(unless you are not on military time, in which case it happens twice, am and pm)
Or, wait, maybe this happens once a century. Or perhaps the world ended in 1415? or in 1592 at 6:53? 

You see, the reason why no man knows the hour or day of the end of the world, is that the math is too complex. Also, it is based on the square root of two, not on the ratio of circumference to radius, so relax.

The world actually will end … hmmm…. 1.41421356237 works out to 1/41/4213at 56:237 or in other words,  the world will end on January the 41st, in the year AD 4213, at 237 minutes past 56 0’clock, so we are safe.

From John C Wright's blog






In other words, we should not focus our time on false prophets and faddish hoaxes that cause us to worry about our fate.  Instead our focus should be on our own end and its outcome.  Focus on the need for Jesus in our lives.  Place our worries at his feet and trust that He will be our strength. 


So, even though Pi and other concepts of math and science are interesting, I still find that I turn to God when I am nervous or worried.  I now that He has my back. 

And, He even gave us wonderful things to enjoy...like Pi and PIE!!!!




SIDE NOTE:  While we were roaming the streets of Corpus Christi today we also discovered a Bagpipe Band celebrating St. Patrick's Day a little early...a lot of fun to see and hear!  I know that there are a lot of St. Patrick's Day events that we need to look into when we return to San Antonio, but this was a good start to the celebration.




















No comments:

Post a Comment