Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Work and then Play!

Today I had a training meeting for spiritual direction in Northeast Texas.  I love getting together with our group but I was really wondering if it would be worth it to drive the two hours one way for a two hour meeting.  So...I thought of an awesome plan to make the trip SO MUCH more worth the drive!

I convinced the children to wake up before their usual sluggish wake up call and go with me to the training....well at least be in the same building!  I even convinced Amanda and Katy to tag along and watch the younger ones!

And how did I manage this amazing feat?!?  I promised them we would spend the afternoon with three of the most amazing people I know...my cousin Karen...my childhood friend Angel and her daughter Karma!

SO...we got to the training.  All went well...as I said...I love being with the group to discuss our journey to become directors.  The meeting was especially nice because we had a visit with our bishop to discuss general topic and then the future of this ministry in our diocese.  He spoke about the importance of understanding our own personal journey and then going out into the world to be the face of God for others.  He also spoke about a key phrase spoken by Pope Francis in an interview that has been widely publicized...this phrase is not reported but more important than all the rest..."the important thing we can do as a universal Church is heal the wounds..."  Our bishop said that is part of our role as spiritual directors and we need to continue what we are doing to bring healing from the Spirit for those around us!  Very powerful and humbling to think we play such a big role in God's plan.

SO...the children were great and had fun playing and watching videos in the next room over.  BUT...the big push was to get to visit.  SO...they quickly got to the van and we were off to the restaurant we picked out ahead of time.  Karen was patiently waiting for us....it was not too bad as it was a lovely day...we even found that there was a covered outdoor seating area, so we took over the area for our own.  I am so thankful the temperature went down and it was a sunny day.  Since there was only one other table being used, we really did have the area to ourselves so the children felt comfortable running around the patio.

Angel and Karma arrived a little later and we kept the waiter hopping with returns to refill drinks, chips and salsa!  That left us free to chat about everything from steam-punk to art to houses to mustaches and everything in between and beyond!  It really was a relaxing fun afternoon without a care in the world....just good company!  We all enjoyed a leisurely meal and conversation until children started nodding off to sleep.  I decided that, although it would be nice to continue the conversation, I should get the children in the car so they slept on the way home....less noise if they are sleeping than when they have had a nap and are full of energy on the trip home!

My only regret is that I did not think to do this all the time we have lived in East Texas...I really love these ladies and I wish we had realized how close we were to make these get-togethers more often.  Isn't it sad that it takes moving to make these things happen?!?  OH...no sense trying to go back...but I do hope they will try to find a way to visit us in San Antonio!  And of course, I will try harder to get back this was also!  I am so thankful for these times together.

One thing that did come out of this is the desire for Amanda and Katy to meet up with Karen to make some steam-punk costumes!  They definitely have a common interest there!  In fact, the entire group was a good blend of free spirits just waiting for an excuse to be creative...I hope we can get them together soon!

All tucked into bed now...it looks like we are all worn out from our travels and excitement.  Good night!



1 comment:

  1. We had a great time, too! Always enjoy time with you and your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete