Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Rest of the Moving Story.

So...we left off with the refreshing and healing trip to Mass on Saturday.  In fact, most of that reflection that you might have read in my previous post came during the next part of the move.

We left Mass, and on our way home...we were HYPER!!!!... not tired like I thought... but ENERGIZED...EXCITED!!!  So we made the craziest decision yet... we packed the van to the gills... ate  dinner... got the younger ones dressed in pajamas and left for San Antonio.  Amanda drove the van and I drove the big moving truck.  We promised that if we even blinked, we would pull to the side of the road and rest.  We were on our way!  A warning cry to the population of San Antonio... the Reynolds family is on their way!

I will admit... we did make some stops... but for the most part these stops were our normal ones for the drive.  I was driving extra slow and Amanda followed behind.  Amanda and Katy got a little concerned and called in a panic when they saw me swerve off the road with a quick jerk.  They would never have guessed that it was not my lack of sleep but Zaira's desire to call it a night that brought the truck driver to her knees!  Zaira...who was peacefully sleeping in her car seat beside me...decided she had had enough.  She grabbed my arm and the steering wheel with it... swerving us of the road...thankfully (with a lot of help from our angels!) I gained control and stayed on the road.

This just happened to be within 10 minutes of my mother's house.  Zaira knows that trip well so maybe she said she had enough and wanted to sleep at her house for the remainder of the night.  It was just after 1 am so I made the decision to stop.  It was unfortunate as we were only another hour away from the new house... but it worked out okay.  My mom knew it was a possibility but forgot to leave the door unlocked so we had to wake her up.  Zaira was wide awake as well.  So my mom, Zaira and I talked about the adventure thus far.  The others slept... which was a wise choice since we would need their strength for the remainder of the move.

After a little rest... and a panicked phone call from Michael who thought we would be there when he got off work (OOPS! I forgot to send him a message!) ...we were back on the road for the last little trek.  Then we waited for Michael to come back from Mass at the new church.

When he arrived, he told us how the priest and one of the parishioners who met us last week were 'fighting' over who met us first.  LOL!  They all wanted to know where the rest of the family were... he explained about the moving truck and they were very upset that they could not help due to other plans (offered to help the next day but we needed to turn in truck by that time.).  However, they invited us to a homeschool event at the church for this Friday.  Michael's description... a fun morning of fellowship, Mass, and the 'noisiest adoration in the world' followed by a picnic lunch!  It sounds heavenly to know that such a group exists!

We left no time to sit and chat as we had a truck to unload.  We were doing a wonderful job unpacking... until we didn't... LOL!  That was about the time the piano was coming off the truck.  Michael and the older ones were trying so hard... but that was about the time Chuck (next door neighbor) arrived!  He helped with the piano and offered to come back if we had any other heavy items.  We also had a visit from the neighbor two doors down (Lonny) who offered to help when he returned from the store.  Awesome!

We unloaded about half the truck by ourselves and then took a break for lunch.  So thankful I had leftover chili that we started in the crock pot.  We were glad to be able to sit and enjoy the meal with little effort.  We even had a table unloaded to sit and enjoy this meal!

After the short break, we were back out to the truck unloading the boxes and other lighter items.  I decided the best option would be to move the heavier items to the side of the truck so we would only need to ask  Chuck and Lonny over to help once.  This was a good plan and it all came to a head around 2pm.  They came over and helped with the big desk, freezer, and large hutch.  And we were done by 3pm!

The children then scattered to various places...the park and bedrooms.  Michael and I sat down with Zaira and Brendan in the living room.  Just before 6pm, I woke up to see the others sleeping as well.  I told Michael that it seemed like a good idea but I was sure that if we stayed that way the younger ones would be wide awake by the time their real bedtime arrived and even though we could probably sleep through the night...they would likely be crazy rambunctious children.  LOL!

So... we decided to see what we could do about unloading the back of the van.  That is when we discovered the first loss of the trip...a few wires for computers chewed by Hank!  Crazy dog!

We met a few other neighbors, as they were walking by the house looking toward the moving truck.  Amanda decided to appease their curiosity and step out to introduce herself.  Amanda has moved too many times to let someone be a stranger for long!  The boys followed suit by introducing themselves to other children at the park.

Michael and I also put our bed together.  Zaira was so funny!  When the bed was all made, I laid down to enjoy the comfort of the bed and she joined me.  She decided that the bed needed a kiss!  It is good to know that she appreciates the important things!  LOL!

Most of the younger ones did go to sleep once we got them to sit still.  I should have taken the same step to sleep but I could not leave furniture scattered through the house.  Amanda, Katy, Henry, and I arranged the furniture until about 1am.  It was quite a surprise to those who went to sleep to see the transformation the next morning!

After a good night's rest (I did finally go to sleep!), Michael, Zaira, and I returned the moving truck.  We also made a trip to the HOA office to register our family in their system.  Then a trip to the post office to obtain a key for the mail box in the community.  So funny...we had to pay $25 for a key to the box because they have to change out the lock!  We will not be able to get to our mail for 6-8 days!  I am glad we do not have any important mail coming!  I guess we can wait for the junk mail to arrive at the new address!

Then after a sparse lunch (We knew the food would not last forever, but couldn't it have lasted for one more day!), the girls and I went grocery shopping.  GPS in hand, we found our way to the various stores of interest.  I normally shop at one store but that store does not exist in San Antonio, so we discovered HEB Plus... the store is HUGE!!!!  It took us two hours walking through the store to find things.  Also, there were people every where giving out samples.  I know other stores do this but these people were NICE... they welcomed us to San Antonio and offered to help us find items on our list!  It was actually fun to go shopping!  Even the checker was nice (and cute but the girls rolled their eyes when I said this! LOL!) and was very talkative and productive as we were checked out.

An all around good move!  We have been blessed and having the furniture in place is a big step in making this our home.  We did leave family pictures and my cross collection on the walls in the old house.  I hope to get most of these when we go back in a couple of weeks.  But most of all, it is home because we are all together again.  We are setting up rules for the house and just enjoying each other.

More adventures to come...but not if I sit at this computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment