Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Moving Day Update


Saturday morning we were off to a great start!  We picked up the truck on time and arrived just before the 'crew' of packers arrived!  I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see the cars and trucks arrive with strong helpers to fill the moving truck...the bulk of which came from the local Knights of Columbus:  George, Elroy, Luis, Edna, Dale and others.  Then there was one of the college men from St. Mary's...Joe.  And then our dear friends...Vicki, Bill, Francis, Ross, Holly and Isaac.


No one wasted any time...getting right to work sorting through the garage and then the main house for all the heavy items that had to fill the truck...then like a Tetris game...filling in the opening with boxes.  It was hard to believe it was all done in three hours!  The hardest items to load were...the piano, dining room table, and the refrigerator.  The frig would not have been hard but we made the mistake of not taking off the doors...only the handles...and it would not fit through the kitchen door.  By the time it was over, we had to take the back door off the hinges!  I worried that they would leave me with a mess when it came to this craziness....I was so thankful for Dale who took the time to put it all back together!  And of course, I was thankful for everyone who worked so hard to get the loading done!

We all enjoyed an awesome lunch...feasting on chili, hot dogs, sweet & sour meatballs, deviled eggs, and more!  I was so glad we could enjoy the time together after the labor!  I have now made a promise to all the groups involved to have a garage sale at the end of the moving process and donate the proceeds to the various groups or charities of their choice.  Believe it or not... we still have that much more in the house!

Just as we were completing the loading, I got a phone call from a friend who wanted to help in the afternoon.  I was so happy to tell her it was done!

While I cleaned up the meal 'dishes,' the children dressed for the play we wanted to attend...yes...I know we are crazy but we had to go....it was Alice in Wonderland and we had planned this for months!  More on this later...do not want to confuse the purpose of the post!

We were able to return home from the play just in time to do a quick change and rush to church for the Saturday Mass.  Realizing that we would not arrive until after the Liturgy of the Word...we read the passages as we drove to the church!  Then I asked each boy to tell us a word that they thought might be used in the homily.  This was a great idea because it made them think about the readings and the homily message.  We arrived just as the Gospel was completed.  Deacon Billy gave an awesome homily on the importance to persevere in prayer not to change God's mind, but to form our hearts to the will of God.

It got me thinking about my own prayer life these last few weeks.  I have asked God over and over if this move is the right one for us.  I really have fought the move to San Antonio...I really had no desire to move.  I thought I was being persistent asking God to change all of this around so we would NOT need to move.  However, the more I pray about the move...I would ask God about the reasons we should be staying and it would always be that gentle (but firm) push to leave.  I could not get around the idea that we are supposed to be in San Antonio.  It also goes along with the idea that I told a friend earlier this week.  I know in my mind that we are supposed to go to San Antonio...but it has not reached my heart.  However, God is slowly changing my heart as well.  He knows our needs...He knows that this move will be good for us.  And through persistent prayer...the raising of heart and soul to God...I have felt that change in me to accept this move as the will of God.

Another friend told me this week...God was taking off band-aids to little hurts instead of doing open heart surgery...it was such a good analogy of how I have felt over the last six months.  So then it was reconfirmed because I mentioned to Amanda that I had spoke to this friend about the move and Amanda interrupted using the same words as my friend...there was no way Amanda knew what my friend had said.  It really was a message I needed to hear.

I also had a revelation about the move...it was a personal moment that only God could bring to light...a deep hurt from childhood.  You see...I grew up in East Texas and was taken away against my will....literally...my parents had to move to be able to provide for our family and I wanted to stay...they had to send me away to camp to pack my things!  So when I returned to East Texas 10 years ago...I saw this as my second chance to make this work.  When Michael told me me we had to move, I was heart-broken!  I did not want to leave...it was like bringing back those childhood memories!  It was one of those band-aids that needed to be taken off to heal.  God is so good...He is the only one who could have known that and healed that pain.

So...although I will still miss everything about East Texas...we move on...and NOW...the rest of the story!...tomorrow...I am tired!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment