Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lego Mania (I mean Fest!)

So...I did something very out of character for me...I set myself up to go into a crowded noisy room full of germs and potential hazards!  That's right...we went to the annual Lego Fest in Houston!  We had never gone before but the boys have begged year after year so I decided to treat them to this adventure for a late Easter gift.  We had it planned long ago and had the tickets put in their Eater baskets...maybe for a way to force the event on me.

I really should not be so negative but really I do not like going into crowded areas and take the chance of losing one of my children!  As you all know...our family has no problem with going on adventures. However, the thought of telling a police officer the description of one of my children has always been a dreaded nightmare!  I can only think of a few times when I have taken the children to an even like this without Michael's help.

In walks my hero...my brother...Nathan...OK...I really thought to treat him and my nephew Karson to the adventure and I will admit it was partly so I would not need to do it alone.  I was so glad to know that Karson has been counting down the days for the past month!  It was really nice to have this fun with them.

We did have fun also...only a few times when I felt like we were crowded and I only felt creeped out by the germ issue when the boys covered themselves in Lego's while visiting the massive pile at the center of the stadium.  We all stayed together and enjoyed seeing the creations as well as make a few of our own.

I think the most interesting part of the day was the presentation by the master builder.  He told the group how he got started building and then stuck with it.  He did have the benefit of having a father who was also a master builder; however, with only seven in the country...he must be pretty good on his own account.  We was great with the children.  He told them there are three lessons that all master builders must learn:

  • Interlocking bricks to avoid breakage.
  • Sideways building (better known as SNOT...studs not on top) to enhance the model with smooth sides.
  • Balance to create a sense of symmetry for the model and to allow for more stability.

When we left, I asked what the boys loved the most.  They told me they loved playing and building.  I think the next time they get the idea of going to one of these events, I will take them to the store and let them each choose a set to take home.  I would come out ahead in monetary value and sanity (not to mention wear and tear on my vehicle).  Besides we already have our own big pile of Lego's so we would not need to take the chance of exposing ourselves to everyone else's germs and noise.

Karson and our boys did love the race car building.  I wish I had a picture of them racing their Lego cars.


It was an experience and I am thankful for the memories we will be able to share later.  No regrets just lessons learned!  The best lesson of the day...the Lego motto:


"The best is never too good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment