Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's Puppy Time

As if we had not added enough excitement to our house...we now have the addition of a puppy to fill our days!

I am not complaining...the children really needed a dog.  We have been looking for the perfect puppy (I know...an oxymoron!) for over a year.  In fact, we were hoping to find two puppies because we have heard that it is better that way.

I have always said that if I do not love the dog then we do not get it.  I figure...everyone else would fall in love with any old mutt.  I would need to be the reasonable one and choose a dog that we could actually enjoy for more than the initial puppy days.

So, about a month ago, we were told about a litter of puppies that would be ready to take the first part of May.  We were eager to go visit the puppies but were told to wait until they were weaned.  Yesterday we got the call to come pick our puppies...we were excited to hear that we would have first pick.

We arrived and found the most adorable of the group and I was convinced we had found our puppy.  Imagine my surprise to find out he was already claimed!  I thought we were the first ones to choose but another person had seen a picture of this puppy and asked they set him aside for her.  Not fair!" I cried....but they stuck to this plan.  I tried to convince them that we were ready to take him home right then and he would have a good home but they said no.

So we looked at the other puppies.  I tried to pick from the others but could not get past the first 'loss.'  I just did not see another puppy I liked as much as that first one.  Then Christina noticed that all the puppies were not accounted for from what she had seen in the pictures.  Sure enough...two of the puppies were hiding under the porch!

Then we saw her...the cutest thing (almost as cute and lovable as her brother!)...as soon as I held her I knew we had found one of the puppies we would take home.  She was so sweet!  The owners also pulled out the most roly-poly puppy ever!  They had named him Willie Nelson and he was cute but not right for us!  So, I tried to convince the owners once more to let us take the original puppy home with his sister.  No budging...so we had to leave with only puppy!  Oh....believe me...there was much wailing as I loading the children in the van!  They were convinced I had done them some injustice by not taking a second puppy home!  However, I just did not have a connection with any of the other puppies available.

We drove away and I told the girls that it was not right to be told we had first pick and then find out their were puppies already spoken for...so Christina asked me to pull over and she would make some phone calls to find out what happened.

As the rest of us waited at an abandoned gas station in the middle of no where, the others started asking what we would name the puppy.  Amanda was trying to convince the boys that she was the namer of all animals, when I looked up and saw the name for our new puppy!  We had stopped directly underneath the sign for the gas station...it was named Beulah's Stop and I decided that Beulah was the perfect name for our sweet new girl puppy!

So...we did eventually head home last night...but with only our sweet Beulah.  We have not given up hope that we will bring her brother pup home at a later time.  However, as of last night he was still taken.

Beulah adjusted well to her new surroundings.  She loves flopping from the porch into the little jungle of vines.  She really does seem to enjoy it and snuggles into the vines and falls asleep.  We have a HUGE doghouse that we placed a blanket from Edward's bed in...she likes that as well.  She slept through the night in her big house...waking up at 5am...lonely, scared and cold.  Not bad for our first night.

She will get used to us...and we hope she has a play mate soon.  Updates will follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment