Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Three Tragedies

They say that tragedies come in threes...and in 'our' world this week we can vouch for that!

On Monday, we were in shock that an act of terrorism could occur within our nation.  The bombings at the Boston Marathon were a surprise and so hard to understand.  Those people were doing no one any harm...just watching a race...a sign of endurance...man versus self...the greatest test!

I have always found the challenge of a marathon intriguing.  Believe it or not...I even considered running a marathon in my day!  A lot would need to change for me to do something like that today...but you never know.  So, I always have an interest in the results at the end of a big race like the one in Boston.  Maybe it is a way to live that moment of crossing the finish line...the dream of finishing the big race!

The tragedy of losing three innocent bystanders and the injury of almost 200 people is outrageous!  We still do not know who the man was who performed this atrocious act.  However, I cannot imagine such anger and evil that would do these things!  I pray for the freedom of evil in this world knowing that only the might power of God can answer this prayer and knowing that the free will of humanity will not allow it to be!

Then last night we learn of the terrible explosion in West, Texas.  Once again many are injured and there are those who have died!  The only connection I can see is the human connection for those who mourn the loss of their loved ones.  To think that the ground shook for miles around and many thought it was an earthquake that hit central Texas.  It is hard to believe that a small town would need to go through such a difficult moment.  Living in a small town most of my life...I know the idea of every one knowing everyone and there is not a member of the community that is not affected by this tragedy!

And...now today...I returned home to find out that the tragedy hits a little closer to home.  We have lost an amazing woman who I have grown to love as if she were my own grandmother!...Miss Mary Jane...I can not imagine our little church family without you!  She was a true lady...a wonderfully dedicated wife, mother and grandmother.  She dedicated her life to caring for others at home and at our little church!  My biggest regret will always be that I did not have the opportunity to go by and see her at the hospital.  I am sure I will write a longer post about her in the days to come.

I look back at these three tragic events of the week...one at a national level...another at the state level...and finally at the local level...all of these events were personal in a different way but all makes me feel numb inside.  And yet the only real answer comes from the same source...God!

We must continue to rely on God in all circumstances.  God is in control.  He will lead us to the finish line...He will lead us home...He will be there during life's tragedies!  Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment