Total Pageviews

Friday, February 8, 2013

The Last Few Days

I set my computer aside for the last few days....here is what we have been doing:


Sunday:

Michael finished the two-day training for $h Wildlife & Hunting.  He enjoyed the experience.  Amanda enjoyed a fun day with our friends.  The boys and I went to Mass and I got to enjoy cleaning vomit off the church pews!  Poor Brendan ate some bad food!

Monday and Tuesday:

Michael and Amanda drove up to Dallas, to go to a Job Fair on Tuesday.  The idea seemed like a good one...but it was mostly entry level jobs for persons just out of military service...the venue was too small and too crowded.  The idea to go visit the Dr Pepper bottling plant at Dublin was mentioned, but after a quick map recon, it was decided that that was too far out of the way, and since Waco is on the way to Austin, we would stop at the Dr Pepper museum and get a drink.  Unfortunately, they are doing some remodeling and were closed, so Amanda suggests we go look at the Waco Zoo.

The person at the gate was very nice, she gave us the price and even offered a military discount for both of us, however, that price would have been the cost for their lunch, but a quick thought occurred.  Michael asked if they were in the same organization as our local zoo, and they were.  Even though they  did not have their Zoo member card on us, the zoo offered to call and verify membership.  This resulted in a free trip to the zoo.

According to Michael: "The Waco zoo has lots of animals, included a rather large section devoted to native wildlife of Central Texas, but the highlight (for our amusement) was the secretary bird.  As we were there, the bird was attracted by light reflecting from my phone, and proceeded to stalk the little spot of light.  Every so often, it would cock its head at us.  I am not sure if it was scolding us for our laughter, or telling us not to spook its prey.  I am glad that we stopped there, and look forward to the opportunity to take the boys with us next time."

While they were enjoying the zoo, the boys and I were plugging along trying to get our school done for the majority of the week.  We also packed and drove to my mother's home to meet them.  We were all back together by dinner.  To my surprise, Michael and Amanda found the elusive flamingo material!  YAY!  Now we can finish the last of the quilts!

Wednesday:

Michael went with the three older boys to the State Capitol for 4H Day.  A full report is given on my other blog.  The rest of us stayed with my mother.  Brendan, Zaira and I were taken to a quilter's shop along with other errands.  I learned a lot about binding.  I was also fascinated by the many fabric choices in this store!

Thursday:

It was back home for all of us, except Michael and Brendan.  They are staying at my mother's through the weekend.  Michael for Army training and Brendan to enjoy my mom without the others.  TIT should be a fun weekend for them...we will await their stories upon their return.  We had to hurry back for a our 4H meeting and a practice contest that will happen Saturday.

I have to share a side story before I end for the day.  Looking at a sign at restaurant where we ate lunch, we noticed a grammar error.  Amanda could not live with herself without trying to correct the error.  She went to the counter and the young man laughed and said he would tell the manager.  As we were getting into our car the manager and the employee came out to inspect the sign: Try ARE 5 for $6.95.  It was obvious that the manager was upset with the employee so Amanda got back out of the car and tried to explain.  She heard the manager say, "It is right...'our' is about time..."  Amanda said, "Ma'am you mean 'hour' but the sign is a possessive which would be 'our' and you have 'are' which is a being verb."  The manager just looked at her like she was crazy.  So, I got out and tried to make a joke of it..."It's OK...we are in Texas and all three words sound the same!"  The manager was completely confused and   walked back in the store with a baffled look on her face!  I am sure she is still trying to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment