Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Loss of One of Our World War II Vets

Today the older boys (Sean and Henry) and I, along with Zaira, went to a funeral of one of our local parishioners.  Sylvester (known as Bud to most) was a World War II veteran who served his country during his youth and came home to work in the woods of East Texas.

There is a lot to be said about going to a funeral for a veteran.  I must say that I am usually emotional any time the veterans are remembered.  The connection is to great as I look at the risks Michael takes when he is deployed.  However, mostly, I just feel the sorrow of the families and the playing of Taps seems to be a trigger of those feelings.

Today I was further saddened by the idea that some family members did not accept the opportunity to seek forgiveness.  I told Michael and the children that should I ever make them so mad at me to avoid my presence, I pray that they would at least come to my death bed and my grave.  I pray that these family members seek consolation in their grief when they realize their loss.

Was Bud perfect, my guess is he had his faults (as we all do) and he sought peace in his last days.  I pray that he has found that peace now.

I spoke to his niece after the funeral.  I told her that I wish I had been able to meet with him and hear his stories.  She told me that most of his stories were quite colorful but so fun to listen to from his perspective.  May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment