Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The BIG FOUR...OH!

As in "Oh my goodness...How did this happen?"  Seriously, I must say that I am proud to have 40 years of my life to look back on and enjoy.  I hope that I am a little wiser and ready to take on the next 40 years (God willing!).

INTERESTING NOTE:
I am twice as old as Amanda.
I am ten times as old as Brendan.
I am four times as old as Edward.
I am 40 times as old as Zaira.

I have always thought it was interesting that some many traditions all seemed to converge on this same day.

The celebration of the Presentation of the Lord...40 days after the Nativity (Christmas) when Jesus is brought to the Temple for a dedication.  Looking at the Bible story closely there are many characters that each teach a lesson for us today.  First, Mary and Joseph are fulfilling the Mosaic Law with the sacrifice of the dove (sacrifice for the poor).  We can also see how we must give in spite of our circumstances.  Simeon and Anna represented the faithful who give their lives to prayer waiting for the coming of the Messiah.  Simeon declares that he is ready to pass from this world knowing that his duty in life is complete.  Anna, though a widow, found her place in prayer at the Temple as well.  We should also find our place within our vocation or calling in this world.  Each finds their way to the Lord in a unique circumstance because they are open to the Spirit. (Luke 2:22-40)

Candlemas Day, what was once considered the last day of the Christmas season.  So named since the blessing and procession of candles is included in today's liturgy.  This was also the day the Christmas trees were taken out of the homes and a large bonfire took place in the town square or other public area.

And then the more secular tradition of Groundhog's Day!  Just as we have faith in the Light of the world, others hold out for the hope in a little rodent to foretell the coming of spring.  Really it is just a silly way to look forward to the new life and warmth that comes with the change of season.  Who can help but want warmer days and more light after the dreary days of winter?

I set out this morning to tell 40 things that I am blessed to encounter in the day.  I thought the best way to do that was placing them in the order they came in the day.  The list turned out a little different than I thought but here it goes:

1 Dreams that end just as you are waking up...Don't you hate it when you wake up in the middle of a good dream?
2 God...who gives me each new day and knowing I should be thankful for each one...good and bad!
3-4  Sean and Edward-made me breakfast in bed
5  Those few more minutes snuggled in bed
6-7  Brendan and Zaira-my snuggle partners
8 Henry-who willingly helped wash my sheets when one said snuggle partner spent a little too long in a diaper!
9 Adrian-older brother who was the first to call with birthday wishes
10 My mom-who waited to call in hopes that I would get those few extra moments in bed!
11 Christopher-another older brother who laughed at my desire to have a quiet day amongst loud wild children
12 Church tradition and liturgy-I love the cycle of events that occur in Scripture to help us move through our daily lives and helps us to learn more about God
13 Michael-dear husband who I insisted go to a 4H training out of town even though it was my birthday
14 Nathan-younger brother who in spite of his busy work morning called to wish me a happy birthday
15 My mom-(yeah I know I already mentioned her but I am doubly thankful for her!) who knows the joy of listening like only moms can to their children even when they are adults!
16 My dear friends who called to sing with full harmony
17 Amanda-who tagged along with her dad so they could go to a job fair...for calling to wish me a happy day
18 Murder She Wrote...in which I spent a good deal of my day watching...just because I love that show and Netflix has in its online streaming
19 A beautiful...gorgeous sunny day...This is the day the Lord has made...Let us rejoice and be glad!
20 Sonic chili cheese dogs...which I love and they just happened to be half price on my birthday!
21 Cherry Limeade...yes I put this separate because I just love this drink and I was so thankful we came to Sonic during Happy Hour so it could be half price also!
22 Homemade Coleslaw-which I love to have when I eat hot dogs but I was so full had to turn away...just makes me have the opportunity to enjoy tomorrow!
23 Facebook that allows all my family and friends an easy way to send well wishes and blessings for the day
24 For my friends-Patrick, Heather, Marie, Patricia, Darrell, Karen, Patricia, Jennifer, Holly, Diana, Tessa, Angie, Carolyn, Becky, Angel, Nancy, Hannah, Shannon, Billy, Lee Ann, Carey, Katie, Jari, Rose, Betty, Tonia, Mary Ann and others-who all took the time to send out special birthday wishes
25 Key Lime Pie-made by Sean for my birthday...one of my favorite desserts!
26 Whipped Cream-made by Henry which always makes desserts even that much better!
27 Kindle-I never thought I would say that such a device would be on my thankful list but I have to admit it is a lot easier to turn pages while reading and nursing a baby...Did you know you can look up individual words in a book to find out what it means?  That is so cool!  I learned that trick by accident today...awesome tool that I will be using now that I know about it.

28 Shopping by internet-I hate going to stores...especially when I am not sure where to buy an item...It is so nice to just do an internet search and the choices are just a click away.
29-31 Jacob, Demi, and Karson-my nephews and niece who personally called to wish me a happy birthday...so sweet to hear their voices...and asking me if I had seen my shadow!
32 Catching up with friends that I have not heard from in a while
33 For homeschooling-so glad that we have a flexible plan that allows for even the most obstinate child  to learn at their own pace (even if it means completing work on the weekend!)
34 Sewing machine-I do not use it as often as I like but it is a great tool that I enjoy using
35 For my night owl-who brings me coffee after everyone else has gone to bed
36 Home-a place to call my own along with my family and the blessing it is for others who come here
37 Books-of any form...I do not read as much as like but I love opening a book and gaining the knowledge found within the pages
38 Prayer-especially at the end of the day when I can lay all the difficulties of the day at the feet of the Lord and sleep in peace
39 My blogs-it is so nice to have a way to share and reflect at the end of the day
40 For the last 40 years that I have been blessed to enjoy...I have learned so much about life...most of all that there is so much more to learn

No comments:

Post a Comment