Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

An Amazing Holy Week

Many have asked how I am doing and I wish I could say everything has been wonderful. However, the last two weeks have been a little rough. I tried to focus on the joy of Holy Week, and I offered my suffering to unite with Christ’s Passion. But I must say it was a difficult road to travel. I spoke about this with my Bible Study class the week before Holy Week. Jesus led the way into Jerusalem, so his disciples would be able to follow, but even Jesus said it would not be easy to accept the cup that he would drink. So I spent many an hour resting and trying to work through the pain. I know that Jesus was right there by my side helping me get up when I had fallen. 


The area of pain the first week was recouping from the brain surgery. I felt like my head was in a vice and the feeling I was bruised all around my head. I tried to think of the pain that Christ felt with his crown of thorns. My pain was minor compared to his unjust treatment.  (Matthew 27:29)


I was also having severe pain in my kidney area to the left of my back. This pain would shift to my right side during the week of Holy Week. It reminded me of the pain I was having just one year ago during Holy Week. I could not help but be concerned.  I tried talking to the doctor but he was out of town and I was left with a NP that we know does not truly listen to my concerns (sad to say).  It made me think about how Pilate, although hearing Jesus, felt that he had to listen to the voice of other louder voices in the crowd who wanted to condemn Jesus.  Pilate thought he could have Jesus scourged as well as other cruelties performed by the Roman soldiers.  (John 19:1-6)


This back pain continued throughout Holy Week, but added to this pain on Good Friday I began to feel a shooting pain from my neck that radiated across my right shoulder (in the past this pain has always been on my left side).  I am sure it was related to the arthritis in my neck from the past radiation treatments.  I could just see myself with Jesus carrying the cross up the hill to Calvary.  How he must have felt the terrible agony of the weight of our sins on his shoulders! (Luke 23:26-32)  I know that my pain was just a small glimpse of what he was feeling, but the pain continued and grew worse as the weekend moved forward.  I did not even have the relief on Easter Sunday.  So, Saturday night I decided I would take my stronger pain medication.  


Through all of this, I thought about Jesus.  However, I also thought of all the saints who had been blessed with the sufferings of Christ through the stigmata (Never heard of this?  Here is a site that explains.).  I now know that I am as close as I would like to be to that pain and suffering.  I feel like the saints who were blessed with the stigmata have been given a special grace to live with this attachment to the Passion.  I profound respect for those who received this gift.  


So in spite of this pain, I did find joy in the day leading up to Easter.  I had such a wonderful support system of family and friends.  I also saw the love my children have to serve the Church, which I think is beautiful.  Edward and Sean helped Fr. Martin build a 12-foot tall gazebo to "house" our new altar on the property.  Brendan served as an altar server at all the Masses of the Triduum and Easter!  Zaira helped as much as she could and just showed so much joy throughout the week! 




Added to this, my big brother (Adrian) came to visit us on Wednesday-Thursday.  He brought me a belated birthday gift that he and Kasey picked out for me on their recent trip to New Mexico.  He found out on a previous trip that I had always wanted a turquoise ring, so they found me a beautiful one!  I will wear all the time...I love it!  


He was also visiting at just the right time to join us for our family Seder meal (we recorded for others to watch)!  He was so kind to take the lead part (I usually do this but it was nice to have the reprieve this year.) Right before we began the Seder, a dear friend (Sandy Salinas) arrived to give me a special gift of flowers, which was perfect to add to our table for the prayerful meal!





Then Henry surprised us with a visit for the weekend!  He had just been home the week before, so I am so glad he made it back to be with us to celebrate Easter.  He even took the crew to Sea World the afternoon of Easter Sunday!


The Easter Triduum was so amazing at our parish site!  So many amazing people came together to make our first Easter special.  I am so glad we can be a part of this small group who love the Lord so much and want to work together.  


On Holy Thursday, we gathered at our new altar location under the gazebo.  Father Martin washed the feet of a few parishioners and our Little Miss was chosen to be shown her servant heart.  This Mass does not end but continues with quiet adoration of the Lord.  This is to represent Jesus taking the Apostles to the Garden of Gethsemane and asking them to pray.  "So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? Watch and pray that you may not undergo the test. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."  (Matthew 26:36-68)




On Good Friday, we met with other families of the parish to pray the Stations of the Cross with the children.  Our wonderful Monica, made it so special for the children (and adults) to reflect on the Passion of Christ.  We returned later to share in the Veneration of the Cross.  Father Martin had a magnificent crucifix donated to our parish at just the right time for this adoration.  God is so good to bless our little parish in this way!  



On Holy Saturday, we went to help Father Martin and others set up for the Easter Vigil Mass.  We went home and made special Easter bread, along with a Easter basket of food for Father.  We wanted to share this tradition with Father, Deacon and Monica & Socorra.  We returned just as the sun was setting for the Mass.  Father had a large bonfire to light our first parish Easter Candle.  This candle is then used to light our individual candles to represent that we spread the Light of the World...JESUS...by fulfilling our baptismal promises.  The story of Salvation is shared throughout the Mass, as we are first in darkness and then come to the light!  At this Mass, we also shared with several adults and older children the joy of them being baptized, confirmed and receive the Eucharist.  This is such a beautiful Mass!  Michael was not able to attend with us because he was a sponsor for friend who was entering into the Church (along with his wife and two daughters) at a different parish!  It was a very full and spirit-filled evening that went late into the night!













On Easter Sunday, we enjoyed an early morning Mass.  I love the Easter morning Mass, which is so full of joy in knowing Christ is risen!  Alleluia!  The older boys helped Monica set up an egg hunt for the parish children.  They hid over 500 eggs along a small "road" on the parish site.  It was so much fun to watch the children hunt for the eggs!  We enjoyed a simple Easter dinner before they headed out for Sea World!  Henry stayed an extra night so they would not be rushed at the park.  




I already know what you are all are thinking...you did too much!!  I assure you...I am really good and delegating!!!  AND...my family had to learn some new things this year...it was actually nice to see them taking on the role to make this Easter special!  I truly was in pain and we would not have had these joys without Michael and the children doing what I have done in the past.  Praise God it all came together!!!


AND...I know you are all wondering if I ever got the doctor or nurse to find out why I was having issues.  Long story short...it was a mess with only secondary staff available during those two weeks.  However, I finally got through to Dr. Drengler and he ordered a new scan to determine what was happening.  More on this as it comes about this week.  


Pray for me!  I am taking pain medication as we work to find out what is going on with my body.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment