Total Pageviews

Friday, January 3, 2014

A Tribute to a Dear Couple

I thought my first post for the New Year was going to be about how inspired I was to try harder to live my life more Christ-like and full of joy.  I have been so busy the last couple of days that I just never got around to sitting at the computer and letting the thoughts flow out of me.

Then I got word that my friend had lost his second parent just a few weeks after his first.  His mother died in late October and now his father has gone as well.  This couple were so devoted to each other that it seems they could not be apart for long even in death.  What a great love that must be in life!  So much so, that one might envy this love...but it is not impossible to achieve for any of us.  What is the secret of the love Maynard and Fern shared for over 60 years?

Maynard and Fern had commitment to be together no matter the difficulty.  I am sure in their many years of marriage there were hard times but they worked through them together.

Maynard and Fern had respect for each other and those around them.  They each had a duty to uphold in their relationship as husband and wife... as father and mother...then later as in-laws and grandparents... even still later as great-grandparents... not to mention, as friends and co-workers.  In all of these roles, they had respect for each other and those around them.  Maynard worked hard as a truck driver for Yellow Freight Company for many years.  He was also in the Navy in the South Pacific during World War II.   Fern served in her life as well... as a mother of two sons and then as a customer care associate for over 20 years.

Maynard and Fern were caring individuals.  As one can see above, their desire to care for others was important to them!  However, it goes deeper than just a title given to them according to their roles in life.  They were just caring people!  They loved each other so much that it showed through to others as well.  In the last months of life, Maynard did everything he could to make Fern comfortable and happy.

Maynard and Fern were devoted to each other.  Maynard wore himself out trying to keep Fern safe and well in spite of her weary soul.  I am sure had the roles been reversed, Fern would have done the same for Maynard.  And after Fern left this world, Maynard stayed strong and kept his devoted love intact.  I spoke to him not long after Fern's death and told him how sorry I was to not be there for her funeral.  He told me that it would be alright because she was looking down at us and smiling.  I told him to stay strong and he said he would because he loved her so much.

That was the last time I spoke to Maynard.  I had my camera in hand and wish I had taken a picture of him.  I hope my memory never fades so much that I forget the smile on his face as he obviously was remembering happy times with Fern.  He had such a peace at that moment.  Maybe he knew that he would be with her soon.  And so it was... after just two months, Maynard was reunited in death with Fern, so their hope could be fulfilled in heaven together.

I hate that I will miss both funerals for Maynard and Fern.  Both times, I was scheduled to come back within days of their funerals, but could not rearrange plans to make it work.  However, I know that the family had support and my prayers go out to them.

I pray that God and the angels and saints greeted them!  And I pray that their family will find peace in knowing that Maynard and Fern touched the hearts of others.  I was most definitely touched in their commitment, respect, caring and devoted lives!

When I go back to my desire to be more Christ-like and full of joy this year, I think that I will try to remember the lives of Maynard and Fern.  I think that if I take the time to live with commitment to those around me, especially Michael and the children... if I show how much I care with respect and devotion...then we will all be better for it.  May God grant us all this understanding of life!

1 comment: