Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pro-life Students

I had the joy of talking with two groups of students at the St. Patrick's Catholic School today!  I dropped my budding nature artists off for their class and headed that direction with Brendan and Zaira.  Brendan was terribly upset because he wanted to play at he playground and Zaira had not nursed in the last hour.  I was not sure how this first talk was going to turn out.  However, God is gracious and managed to calm Brendan down and he was a great helper during my talk.  Zaira had no desire to nurse during this time either.

So, I never know exactly what I am going to say when I do these kind of talks.  I like the Spirit to move me in the right direction.  The first group was the young ones 1st-3rd grade and they were so sweet.  They just wanted to coo over Zaira for the most part.  I started with a Bible verse from Job that I read from my breviary for morning prayer.  I though it was quite fitting for the day!


"Naked I came from my mother’s womb, naked I shall return. The Lord gave, the Lord has taken back. Blessed be the name of the Lord! If we take happiness from God’s hand, must we not take sorrow too?" (Job 1:21, 2:10)

I read/sang from a book I have had since childhood.  The book once had a record in it and I am sure I listened to it many times; however, I have long since lost the record.  However, I can still hear the song in my mind.  "I am a Promise...I am a possibility...I am a Promise...with a capital P" This has become our Pro-life motto.  As I told the children, God sees the promise in all of us and we are all precious in His sight.  God gives the potential for all of to have life.



Then I had time to read one of my favorite books, Angels in the Waters.  This book is about the development of a baby in the womb but also shows the importance of our guardian angel from the moment of conception.  I was so blessed to be able to share side stories about my children as I read the story.  Brendan and Zaira were on my lap at different times as I read as well.  It was a very special moment that I will cherish.  And it taught the children how life is special.  We ended with all of us praying the Angel of God prayer together.  


I then went back to pick up the others from their class and headed back to speak to the older group of 6th-8th graders.  I had prayed about what I was to tell this group and really did not know what to tell them, as I have spent many years with this group talking about Prolife information.  God blessed me with an idea as I made the trip around the loop.  All I needed was a deck of cards!

Thankfully, I got back to the classroom in time to ask for the cards and set up the plan before the students came into the class.  When they arrived, each was given a card.  I had several number cards, 4 queens and a Jack.  Then I opened up the talk with the reading from Job again.  This time I focused more on the second half of the verse...we are to praise God in times of happiness and sorrow.


Then I spoke about choices in life.  I asked the four girls with queens to come forward along with our lone Jack.  I explained how 1 in 4 women will have had an abortion by the time she is 40 years old.  I asked the girl holding the Queen of Hearts to step forward and said that she represented the baby who was affected by the decision.  She was not allowed to speak and we were to ignore her as much as possible.  The other girls were told that they were the friends who did not give their friend good advice or none at all.  And that lone Jack?  He was the boyfriend who did not try to stop the abortion!

I then had their attention to show how abortion affected my life.  I spoke about the multiple times I was asked why I did not abort each of my children.  Going through each reason any one of them might be aborted in the eyes of a pro-abortion society.  However, explaining how each one of my children are so dear to me and how God wanted them to be in my life.  I cannot imagine life without them.  I even included our sweet blessing in heaven who I remember each year in September on the anniversary of the miscarriage.  I explained how even though no one asked me to abort that child, I was told many times after the miscarriage that the loss of that child should not be painful since I already had so many.  The theme throughout this talk was how life is precious...no matter what the circumstances.


The class ended my talk by praying for me to be blessed.  Such a wonderful way to end my time at the school!  And, I really do feel blessed!

After these talks, the children and I went home for lunch and then off to speech and making spaghetti dinner.   Another blessed Wednesday!  Praise God!

Also, an update on my friend, Margie, who was run over at the Life Chain this previous weekend. From Fr. Mark:

"Margie and I had a great conversation. Gordon (her husband) was also there. Margie has been sitting up, talking up a storm and had sat on the edge of the bed earlier in the day.  She is so very grateful for all the prayers that are being offered for her after this terrible accident. She asks you to please continue them.  Gordon said she will be going to rehab later this week."  

Praise God for her recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment