Total Pageviews

Monday, October 22, 2012

Art Class

Do I dare to promote a service we have been provided on my blog?!?

Edward attempt at human eye
Well, I just cannot resist...the boys and I loved this online art class so much that I want other to have this opportunity as well.  We have never done any online classes before, so I must say that I was leery about this one.  However, after several of my friends made good comments about the course, I decided to give it a try.

The class is set up to attend as many classes you want to sit through.  I am sure the classes are the same throughout the week just at different times.  However, the instructor is filming the class live so there will be times when he veers off the script.  In fact, he did that tonight with us and it made it so interesting to see his mind work as he adjusted the course to fit his impromptu style.

My human eye and haircovered eyeball
The artist is very exciting and makes jokes throughout the hour of instruction.  He tries to get us to interact as well to ensure we are staying on track.  Although, I must say he does not always on track himself!  LOL...he reminds me of the dog in Up!...squirrel!  But you cannot help but love his little rabbit trails and where they lead the class.

He starts out each class with an introduction.  He has students all around the world.  He also gives us a 60 second challenge to see if we can draw a basic art concept in less than a minute.  Today we  were working on contour lines, which we would later put to use with the art lesson.

He does have a theme for each week.  This week the theme is 'eyeballs.'  Tonight we drew six different kinds of eyeballs. We began with a basic round eye that was then developed into what he called a robot eye.  Then we created a monster eye.  Followed by eyeballs showing through a pile of hair (supposedly from a cartoon movie).

Sean's monster eye
Then his impromptu spirit came through...he started out showing us his marshmallow eyes, but as he started drawing his mind began to wonder...he remembered an ad that arrived in his mailbox and we were in his little world of imagination!  The advertisement was a girl peeking through a sheet of paper she had ripped open.  As he began his marshmallow eye, he told us it reminded him of this advertisement which he had sitting at his art desk.  He then proceeded to turn his marshmallow eye into the ripped open paper with fingers coming out of the rip to reveal another monster eye!  Now that I type this description of how it came about it seems very contrived, but I assure you it was very spontaneous and exciting to see his artistic mind at work!

Henry's monsters
The boys thoroughly enjoyed it.  And, I must say I liked the experience myself.  I am no artist, but I was able to follow his easy steps and make it work!  Wow!  So, if you have an interest in learning to draw, take a look at his website.  Maybe we will see you on line for his classes too!

1 comment:

  1. I love Mark Kistler. I looked into these classes and wondered how we would have the time to fit them in. I may have to make it a priority!

    ReplyDelete