Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Know What I Mean Jelly Bean?

I understand, rubber band!

Where does that come from?  I looked it up but could not figure it out.

However, as we had a day off in the middle of the week this last week for Veteran's Day, we chose to take advantage of the opportunity to go to the Jelly Belly factory (only open on the week days for a full tour).  And, this phrase kept popping up in my head!


 
We arrived to join the line of others from around the world (Can you believe it?) waiting for the tour.  The wait was not long and we spent the short time thinking about all the jelly beans we could eat along the way.  In fact, there was a sample bar set up beside us to enjoy while we waited.  I could not resist trying the Tabasco flavored as well as the black pepper.  I knew that I would never purchase these flavors so it was a great opportunity to try these wacky flavors...much better than the idea of baby wipes or lawn clippings among the other obscure flavors available.  Both of the flavors were actually quite tasty even though I would rather enjoy the sweeter flavors on any other day.

As we moved along the line, we also were able to view the jelly bean art work.  These designs were created for special events.  I just thought about all the wasted jelly beans that I would have gladly eaten!

Then we were off to meet Mr. Jelly Belly and see how these tasty treats are made.  Sorry no pictures inside the factory as we were told they wanted to "protect the privacy of their employees."  Otherwise we were given the full details of the process at hand.  There are four steps all Jelly Belly beans must go through to make to the ranks of official candy (This is from memory so don't quote me on this...LOL).

  • Jelly center with flavoring (unlike other jelly beans that just have the plain gelatin centers)
  • Flavored Syrup Coating (this process takes 2-3 days to ensure flavor enhancement) completed in a tilted pan that reminded me of a cement mixer. A coating of sugar and then syrup is alternated until the right shape and size is formed.
  • Sugar Glaze added to help set the bean with a glossy finish (This reminded me of a rock tumbler polishing rocks)
  • Sorting and Packaging...the factory actually has a system to remove jelly beans that are not uniform in size and shape.  Any jelly beans that are not up to standard end up in the belly flop.  These jelly beans are not wasted but sold to the visitors at reduced prices.

We were not told how the flavors are determined.  I had hoped we would find out on the tour.  However, when I returned home, I did find a website with the information.  This was specific to the odd flavors of Jelly Belly, but I am sure the process is true for all their new flavors.

Not only did we enjoy learning about the making of jelly beans, but also the history of how things got started.  From their website:

"Back in 1976, a Los Angeles candy distributor had an idea for a jelly bean made with natural flavorings. So he called up the candy makers at Jelly Belly (formerly known as Herman Goelitz Candy Co.) who had a reputation for making the very best candies.

Creating "true-to-life" flavors was, well, a natural evolution. The candy makers cooked up a recipe for a new kind of jelly bean -- intensely flavored throughout, with natural ingredients for flavoring whenever possible. In 1976 the first eight Jelly Belly flavors were born: Very Cherry, Lemon, Cream Soda, Tangerine, Green Apple, Root Beer, Grape and Licorice. Funny enough they are still some of the most popular flavors made."

We enjoyed our tour and even though it seems tempting, I do not think I could work there.  The intense smell so strong that I had a headache by the time we left.


No comments:

Post a Comment