Total Pageviews

Friday, June 6, 2014

Looking around for Family History

I have come to find out that when studying family history it often leads to graveyards.  This trip would be no different.

We actually started out at my Aunt Peggie's house on the second day of our trip.  We only had a short time, but since she knew we were coming, she already had several stacks of photos and documents ready for me. We also knew that we would be meeting up again at the end of our road trip.

I was amazed at both how much I remembered and how much I never knew.

For instance, I knew that my grandfather (Harold) was adopted into the Edmundson family.  What I did not know is that his mother was a governess for Mr. Edmundson's four daughters before she married him and Harold was adopted.  Harold is not in the picture her because he had already left home.  We will probably never know the full story about this interesting family situation.  I left wishing I had asked more questions from those who would have known the answers.

There were other stories told of interest as well.  I wish I had recorded all of the stories Aunt Peggie told me.  I will just need to remember that when I go back to visit her again.  Michael and I had to play tag team at the restaurant because Zaira had so much energy from sleeping in the car to get there!

When Aunt Peggie suggested going on a little side trip, I convinced Michael to take the wound up children to the hotel and let them swim off some of their energy.  He was not thrilled about the idea of going this alone but was kind and did it anyway.  It probably did not help that Amanda and Henry decided to come with me instead of helping him  However, I am glad they came along because they took amazing pictures I would have missed of these large praying hands!

The family history tour continued a couple of days later when we entered into Iowa.  Both of Michael's parents grow up in Iowa and we had hoped to visit with one his cousins.  These plans fell through, so maybe another trip that direction is in order.  The family has a family reunion every year and we have never gone.

We did have an opportunity to go to the cemetery in Leon, Iowa.  This is where Michael's grandfather is buried.  Michael remembers his grandfather and will never forget the circumstances that led to him missing his funeral.  Michael and the family had made their way back to Iowa for the funeral.  However, the night before Michael was stung by a wasp (or so everyone thinks) and his entire arm was swollen and he was sick for days.

Since this happened, Michael had never visited his grandfather's grave.  He was determined to find it (we did not have a location or directory to lead us).  I am not sure how we managed it but when we arrived, I suggested that we drive around the outer edges of the cemetery and see what we could find.  Just as we were about to give up, we looked out and there it was as if calling out to us!  We also found a few other Reynolds grave sites.  Michael thinks they were an aunt and uncle.  We will need to verify this information so we can add to our family notes.

The next part of our family history tour through the Midwest took us to Nebraska.  I will save this story for tomorrow because it includes a slow-paced chase through the streets of Alliance and a friendly talk with a police officer!

GEOCACHE ALERT!

A little side note for my geocaching friends.  We have only recently renewed our caching before we started our trip.  I had heard that caches were often found in cemeteries (I love cemeteries!) but had not found one ourselves.  On our way to Leon, we had to make an unexpected stop...someone in the van just could not wait!  So I happened to pull out my phone and check my geocaching ap...their it was!

I did not know at the time it would be THAT cache, so I sent Henry off to find the cache that was only 200 feet up a hill.  We were in a hurry and he did not return quickly so I sent Michael after him.  Then Michael did not return, so Sean went out after the lost ones.  Come to find out they were not lost at all!  They had come upon a hidden cemetery and the cache was in a hollowed out tree trunk!  How cool!  I guess it is a good thing I was not told about all of this until we were down the road or I would have been out of the van myself exploring this treasure!  I think it is the coolest cache we have found yet, and I only got to see it in pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment