Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Remembering Dad

Sometimes....you have to wonder...coincidence or planned by God from above?

Eight days ago, I was sent an email from my favorite photo book company...I was given a free photo book...I was given seven days to complete the project to get this deal.  So exciting when that happens!  However, this time I was not going to have the time to complete a photo book...also I really did not have any photos I wanted to put in a book.  Pretty crazy right?  In fact, had I thought about it, I probably would have gifted the book to a friend.

However, on day two of this deal, I had an amazing idea that I could use the book to create a project that I had made back in my scrap-booking days (the few that I had done...terribly and very rough completed works!).  This scrapbook was made just after my Dad passed away ten years ago.  I wanted to do something to help the grandchildren remember what a great man he was.  I asked all my brothers and my Mom to help remember an object that reminded them of a story of Dad.

As I said, this was a very rough book...put together on a whim.  I decided that I would take the same stories and try to add a few pictures of Dad to make it into a nicer photo book.

However, I was still short on time during the next few days...as you might have read...I was out of town for days three through six.  I got back exhausted from the experience and decided that I would just have to save that photo book for another time.  It was was great idea but I could not make it happen.

I puttered around with the idea any way but by the evening of the seventh day I knew it was not going to happen.

Then a strange thing happened!  I got a second email from the company!  It said...we noticed you did not finish your free book!  We are giving you an additional 24 hours to complete your project!  WOW!!!  That was awesome!  And although I really did not have the time to complete this book, I decided to try anyway.

Not only did I complete the book (much like the original but with better pictures!), I had two additional pages (not normal for any of the photo books I have completed in the past) that were filled with pictures of my Dad with his grandchildren!

By the time I was completing the book, all the family was involved...going through old photo albums and telling stories of this great man.

At one point I called my Mom to ask for a specific picture I remembered taking of my Dad's graduation.  She was nice and quiet (not normal) and said she could not get it at the time.  I was a little disappointed but told her I understood and was in a hurry to complete the book.  So I hung up and completed the book.

So...on day eight (today!) I clicked the order button on my free photo book and sat back in relief.  And that is when it hit me!

Michael?  What day is today?

Michelle, it is March 27th.

Michael?  Do you realize that today is my Dad's birthday?

I was in such a hurry this last week that it never crossed my mind.  It was especially not on my mind when I was making this photo book or when I called my Mom (who I did call back and apologize...I felt so bad!)

But I was so surprised!  I think it was a special gift from above.  Maybe my Dad was thinking about us too!  I sure miss him!  He was a great man...and I think he is still pretty special and a part of our lives.

When I looked at pictures...I saw Zaira's big smile!  I saw Henry's love for photography and his quiet nature.  I saw my Dad's love for his family! And his love for God!

Not only is today his birthday but in two days we mark the 10th anniversary of his death.  It is hard to believe that he has been gone so long.  God is good and gave us a special reminder of my Dad today.  I am blessed with these memories and so glad I can share them with my children in this special photo book.  Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment