Total Pageviews

Friday, August 1, 2014

Catch Up Post

When I got on the site this evening to post about our adventure of this last week, I was shocked to see the lapse in time since my last post!  I guess it has just been a busy summer with little energy to post at the end of the day.

July was spent with camps, VBS, and family visits.  But mainly lots of time on the road.  This summer has also been unusually cool with temperatures in the 80s and lower 90s...which meant a lot of time enjoyed outside, especially at the pool.

The boys were able to get back into altar serving at our new church.  They even had the joy of heading to the annual summer party at a parishioner's home on the river.  They grilled hot dogs and played throughout the evening.  I am glad to see them getting involved in church now that we are getting settled.

I also got involved at the church with VBS...all of those years of running the program, I enjoyed just teaching a short class each day with the oldest group of youth.  The focus was on David and the Psalms, so I was able to share the importance of praising God through the Divine Office...one of my favorite methods of prayer.  On the last day we had a fun water game day.  I guess God wanted to join in the fun as He had us playing in the rain...just a sprinkle!

We also had fun with my nephew, Karson, that week.  He does not get away from home often and we do not have opportunity to see him as they live south of Houston.  He seemed to like his visit and the VBS, which I am glad to know.

We dropped Karson off with my brother, just in time to run to the resale stores near our house to throw together some costumes.  Our library was having a Doctor Who party....and of course the boys could not resist the opportunity to dress up like their favorite Doctors.  Sean dressed in a cream colored suit that I modified to have red stripes...he was the fifth Doctor.  Henry borrowed the scarf Amanda made for Uncle Root Beer and we found a jacket and pants to add to the outfit.  Then we searched through boxes to find the hat my Dad loved to wear that was perfect for the fourth Doctor.  Edward seemed to have the easiest costume as he was the ninth Doctor and had more modern clothes.  We even found a genuine leather jacket that I hope to wear when the weather cools off this fall!

We arrived at the party just in time for the fun to begin.  I sat to the side and watched the boys mingle within the crowd of teens.  Mainly they just wondered through to the seating set up to watch a few episodes.  Then they entered the costume contest.  Without a doubt, Henry won first place (The Tom Baker Doctor will always be a crowd pleaser!).  He won a movie night for two and offered to take me to the movies!  Sean was the unofficial second place although not announced to the entire group and no prize was given out.  Most of all the boys enjoyed themselves with other Who fans!


We spent the next day frantically packing Henry for his week long wildlife camp.  The next day we drove him down to the Corpus Christi area and decided to make a quick stop at the National Seashore on Padre Island.  I had hoped we would be there to see the Ridley turtles hatch but the little critters did not cooperate with us!  We are already planning a trip back to try again in August.  It is only a 3-hour drive away so it would make a nice day trip.  The boys and Zaira still enjoyed the few minutes of ocean waves before heading on our way.  Actually, Zaira did not like the sand at first as you can see in the picture above...but she eventually figured it out and had a good time.


I will save the camp stories for Henry to tell...so check out his blog in the next few days.

During the VBS week and the week of Henry's camp, Sean and Edward were able to enjoy 4-H Insect Camp.  Sean was an assistant and Edward was a camper.  I will save those details for Sean's entomology blog.  All I can say...it was strange and oddly quiet with only the two little ones around most of the day.  But we did not just sit around...I was preparing for our trip to the national WHEP contest for Sean.  I also had to set up the meals for Michael while we were away.

I will save the second road trip adventure for another post.  I will also have Sean help me write a post for my 4-H blog (I have not written a post there in a LONG time!)









No comments:

Post a Comment